What Are Politicians Doing to Our Country?

Politicians have been around since the beginning of time.  There are those who have a vision to make things better for their country, and there are those who are wrapped up in power.  As I’m reading through the Bible, I see both sides in the book of Judges.  When the children of Israel turned away from the laws of God, they were more open to attach and defeat.  The same is true for any nation.  When they turn to things that are not good, they make poor choices.  Some of those poor choices are following after leaders who have no intent to help the people, but to take for themselves.


I’ve seen politicians in my life time who entered office for a short time to pass legislation for the good of their business or own purpose.  There are those who use inside information to take from the government for their own good.  Yes, there are those who start out with good intent for the country, but the dirty politics destroy them.  There are very few who can stay on track and serve their country with the best interest of the country. 
In Judges, you will read about the brave, the coward, the faithful, and the self-serving.  However, I’m not writing about any of the judges or kings, but the words of Jotham, the youngest son of Gideon.  His parable reminds me of 2016 and the fight for power in our own country.

Judges 9:8 – 15 (KJV)
“The trees went forth one day to anoint a king over them;
And they said unto the olive tree, ‘Reign over us.’
But the olive tree said to them, ‘Should I leave my fatness,
Wherewith by me they honor God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?’
And the trees said to the fig tree, ‘Come, reign over us.’
But the fig tree said unto them, ‘Should I forsake my sweetness,
And my good fruit, and go to be promoted over the trees?’
Then the trees said to the vine, ‘Come, reign over us.’
And the vine said to them, ‘Should I leave my wine,
Which cheers God and man, and go to be promoted over the trees?’
Then, said all the trees unto the bramble, ‘Come and reign over us.’
And the bramble said to the trees, ‘If in truth you anoint me king over you,
Then come and put your trust in my shadow;
And if not, let fire come out of the bramble, and devour the cedars of Lebanon.’”
 The good and productive men were too busy to serve their country as leader, but there was the bramble, eager to take the honor.  A bramble is a thorny vine which isn’t a good thing.  It can’t protect the people, but it can twist around the people with lies and promises to only choke them after they have their power.  The bramble is deceptive, “Put your trust in my shadow and if you don’t, I will destroy you.”   The bramble, the career politician, knows how to twist the truth and twist the thoughts of men.  The bramble wants to destroy the strong and good in order to get the power it desires. 
 Some politicians are like the bramble; they want power, money, and control.  As I look at our candidates for 2016, I see the bramble in each.  One simply believes that he can negotiate our country back to a land of jobs and opportunity.  One simply wants to be president and more.  Then, there are the others along for the ride who could take enough votes from the major parties to keep both from office.  In the end, I ask myself, “What are the politicians doing to our country?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY