Are We "Puffed Up" Placing Man Before God?


     Sometimes we complicate situations by placing too much thought into something simple.  I know that is what I’ve done.  In my study of I Corinthians, I noticed the words “puffed up,” so I decided to research what Paul meant by “puffed up.”  So, I read a few commentaries, googled a few sermons, pulled out my book on customs of the Hellenistic in Corinth and Roman Empire, and searched the scriptures.  I have my notes and a lot to write on the subject after a few months of research.  Now, does this make me “puffed up?”
     As I prayed over where to start, I went to I Corinthians 4:6.  “And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that you might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against the other.”  

     “That you might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written.”

     Think about what Paul is saying.  First, look at Corinth.  Corinth was a rich port with a lot of commerce.  The people worshipped many gods, believed that kings were part gods, and studied the writings of Aristotle and Plato.  Corinth was known for its temple to Aphrodite with the prostitutes to give sexual pleasure to those who paid or made sacrifices to Aphrodite. With this in mind, the church of Corinth had many problems.  There was adultery among the members.  They were judgmental of the different teachers and preferred one over others.  They were leaving the teachings of Paul and moving toward teachers who fit their life styles.  Paul was telling them they were arrogant, self-centered, and judgmental.  Paul was telling the Corinthians that they need to return to the gospel and God.  They were placing the teachings of man above the written gospel.

     Now, have I placed too much importance in “knowing” what Paul’s intention was by calling the church at Corinth “puffed up?”  Does my church place more emphasis on doctrine than the gospel?  Are we too much into following the customs of the world than following the commandments of God?  Do people worship the leader of the church instead of God?  Is the letter to the Corinthians a message to the churches across America?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY