With the Meekness and Gentleness of Christ

"Now I, Paul, myself urge you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ - I who am meek when face to face with you, but bold toward you when absent."  II Corinthians 10:1 (NAS)

      Last week when I opened my Bible to continue my study of Corinthians, my first thoughts after reading II Cor. 10:1, "Here is the character of God!"  And, Paul treated the Christians at Corinth with 'the meekness and gentleness of Christ.'  This is how babes in Christ are fed the scriptures and gently directed to obey and follow God.  However, Paul is more bold toward them (in his letters) when he is not with them.  Why the contrast?
      My thoughts go to the differences in communication between being face to face and not face to face.  It makes a difference.  Face to face, I can see their reaction to what I'm saying, but while texting, emailing, or writing a letter, there is no visual to what the other party is feeling. Then, while I listen face to face, I can see their emotions, but while emailing or texting, true emotions can only be imagined.  Face to face is personal and physical.  A letter can be personal, but without actual physical closeness, the letter has to show expression and boldness to get to the point of the message.
      Reading between the lines, I see Paul desiring to be with the Christians at Corinth in order to guide them meekly and gently away from the many temptations they face each day in Corinth.  If only he could see their faces as they are tempted, he would give them spiritual food as they need to be fed from the gospel of Christ.  However, Paul reminds them in chapter 10 verse 16, "So as to preach the gospel even to the regions beyond you."  As Paul moved on to preach the gospel of Christ to the 'regions beyond,' he writes bold letters.  The church at Corinth called Paul's letters 'weighty and strong.' (verse 10)  Those letters needed to be "weighty and strong" in order to lead them from false teachers, wild imaginations, and temptations of the evil life styles around them in Corinth.  As Paul begins the ending of this bold letter, he reminds Corinth of a character of God.
     "Now, I, Paul, myself urge you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ."  This is a reminder to me.  My Savoir, Jesus, the meek and humble teacher, the Son of God died for me.  As He lives in me, I pray that I will reflect His meek and gentle spirit.  As God places people in my path, I'm praying that I will stop and listen with the meekness and gentleness of Christ.  May God help me as I look into their faces to know and understand their needs.

Jesus' words in Matthew 11:29,30.
"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."


     
   
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY