I AM THAT I AM

     Do you ever question God?  Are you challenged to wonder who is this God we serve?  Moses heard the voice of God in a burning bush.  God tells Moses that He will send him to Pharaoh to request freedom for the tribe of Israel.  Then, Moses questions God.  Yes, Moses has a lot of questions for God in Exodus 3.  Moses who was educated in the house of the pharaoh was surrounded by many gods.  Each god had a name.  So, Moses in his on way asked God, "What is your name?"
    God had a reply, "I AM THAT I AM: and you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"  (My translation of Exodus 3:13,14)
    As I read these verses, I wondered where was Moses' faith.  Yet, God chose Moses to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt.  God gave Moses the courage along with Moses' brother, Aaron, to lead thousands of men, women, and children out of Egypt.  Did Moses believe God?  In the book of John, Jesus asks many times the question, "Do you believe?"  So, here was Moses asking God for his name.
     Moses' life placed him among unbelievers of the true God.  So... yes, he asked.  God replied, "I AM THAT I AM."  Here was God talking to him.  Moses never did hear the other gods speak.  God told Moses what the Pharaoh would do.  The great I AM told Moses that the pharaoh's heart will grow hard against the children of Israel.  Yet, Moses kept going back to the pharaoh after each of the nine plagues.  Later, Moses wrote the first five books of the Holy Bible.  Moses believed after all the questions.
     Yes, there will be times you will question God.  Why?  When?  We still believe, because we read His words.  We believe because God lives in us.  We know that God is the great I AM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY