Praying From The Heart Honoring God
As I was praying last night, I stopped. I was naming all my
grandchildren by name with special requests for each as I usually do. Is this a
repetition? I questioned if I was praying from the heart or repetition. This
isn't how I want to pray. As Paul told the church in his letter to the
Ephesians 6:18, "praying always with all prayer and supplication in
the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and
supplication for all the saints." Was my prayer a habit? Actually, I think
I fell asleep considering my prayers.
One thing that came to mind is one of my pet peeves -
repeating "Lord, I pray for .... and Lord, I pray for .... Believe me, I
know a lady whose prayers start with Lord, I pray for and every request is
headed with "Lord, I pray for..." Honestly, I have caught myself
doing the same. You know, we have that list in front of us. Does God hear that
prayer and does He answer those prayers? Yes, if it is sincerely from the
heart. We all pray in our own styles. God knows us and hears us.
A few days ago, a dear cousin shared with me that she didn't
feel God anymore when she prayed. She had surgery a month ago and has been in
and out of the hospital in the last thirty days. She feels weak and tired. She
said that she knows God is with her, but she doesn't feel His presence. She
wondered if God even hears her prayers. I assured her God was near, just
believe. As I considered our conversation, my thoughts went to David as Saul
was seeking to kill him. He wrote about his despair in the Psalms. David wrote
in Psalms 69:16, "Hear me, O Lord." Then, in verse 18, David calls
out to God, "Draw near to my soul, and redeem me." God was present
for David, and God is always near to us. We may not always feel it but be
assured that He is.
Then, as I considered my prayer and how I pray, I asked
myself do I just pray petitions. When Jesus taught the disciples to pray, the
prayer begins with honoring God before asking Him to cover our needs,
forgiveness of sins, and protection from evil. Before anything else, God should
be lifted up and praised. Why? Because I love Him. When we love someone, they
have a special place in our hearts. Yes, God has a special place in my heart,
because without God, where would I be?
As I woke up this morning, my prayer was a time of praising
and honoring God. Looking back at how God carried me through an illness in my
pre-teen years. When the doctor's words gave no hope, my parents placed all
hope and faith in God. I made it through those tough times. When my mother had
heart failure, it wasn't just a miracle that she was able to get an appointment
with Dr. Denton Cooley for heart surgery, it was God opening the way for our
family to have her for twenty-one more years. The experience placed a hold on
my education as I was needed at home, and during those six months I matured and
became more independent. What were the chances of having a classmate in my
night class who was the Human Resource Officer at a local business. Through
him, I was able to get a job and continue night classes. Also, it was where I
met my husband. God placed us where we were needed. In every stage of our
marriage God was there. As I considered all my blessings, I praised God. What
an uplifting feeling to just Honor and Praise God!
Starting today, I hope to start purposely honoring and
praising God in my prayers. Hopefully, it will become a habit. Yes, I will
continue to pray for all thirteen of my grandchildren by name, my children with
my children-in-love, and all those special people in my life. As David wrote in
Psalms 103:1-4
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me,
bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his
benefits: Who forgives all thine iniquities; who heals all thy diseases; Who
redeems thy life rom destruction; who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender
mercies.”
Comments
Post a Comment