The Last Goodbye

  Saying "Goodbye" is hard. It is especially hard when we know it is the final GOODBYE. We build relationships, but the time comes to depart. In Acts, we read about Paul's travels. He has traveled many miles through Asia and Greece. He has preached the gospel of repentance and the resurrection in every town he entered. He has made many new friends. Now, after finishing his third missionary journey, it is time for him to return to Jerusalem. He encourages the leaders who will continue preaching. His final words to them: "I have showed you all things, how that so laboring you ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" (Acts 20:35)

Paul's missionary journey started in Acts 13 as he and Barnabas were sent out to preach. They traveled many miles before returning to Jerusalem. The first city they entered was Antioch. As they traveled preaching the gospel, other men joined them. They returned to Jerusalem sharing their stories of many Jews and Gentiles believing. Then, Silas travels with Paul on his second missionary journey. They go to the cities of Galatia. Then, they travel to Macedonia, Philippi, Thessalonica, Berea, Athens, Corinth, Ephesus, and Antioch. After sharing information about their travels, Paul's third missionary journey was back to the cities where they had established churches. They found that Apollos was teaching John's baptism in Ephesus, so they approached Apollos and corrected. Paul didn't judge but corrected. As Paul left each city for the last time, he gave them instructions to continue serving. 

Paul's last words to the church of Ephesus:

"None of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. And now, behold, I know that you all, among whom I have gone preaching the kingdom of God, shall see my face no more. Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the council of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost has made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he has purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also, of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears. And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified." Acts 20: 24-32

They followed him to the ship. They cried. They knew that they would see him no more.

Goodbyes are hard. Goodbyes are extremely hard when you know that it is the last goodbye. 

Yet, Paul gave them sound advice. Later, Paul will write letters of encouragement and correction to the churches. Paul gave them the gospel of God. This is the greatest gift. 

Many of us can recall some of our own final goodbyes. Even if we didn't get to say goodbye, we have sweet memories. The best memories are the ones with a love story. The best love story is affirming the everlasting love of God. At least, it is for me. My parents taught us about God's everlasting love. They lived to show God's love and power to us and those who knew them. Faith in God is powerful. Sharing God's love brings eternity. Knowing God's everlasting love gives comfort after the Goodbye. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY