an influencer or THE INFLUENCER
As I start my day, I am faced with many choices of how to start this day. Today, I wonder how much that choice influences my thoughts, words, and actions. With the little phone within reach, I can see what is happening in the world through the eyes of those on social media or any news outlet. Each has the power to control my thoughts and views. Then, if I avoid that little phone, open the door and simply listen to nature out my back door calming my spirit and lifting my thoughts to the beauty of our beautiful world, I can find joy in God's creation. However, there is another choice. The choice many may never consider. This is seeking the greatest of all Influencers.
"... for they drank of that spiritual Rock that
followed them; and that ROCK was Christ." (1 Corinthians 10:4)
People and circumstances will always continue to be the
same. When Paul wrote his first letter to the church in Corinth, the church was
surrounded in a society of idolatry overflowing with fornication, name calling,
complaining, and following the ways and means of a society worshipping idols.
Many were judging each other for practicing the ways of idol worship and eating
the meat offered to idols. This was their life before they received Christ, and
this life was practiced all around them. The influence of their old life was everywhere,
leaving them with the decision to continue or change.
From little things as to hair length to big things as
practicing the evils of idol worship. In Corinth, prostitutes kept their hair
short, so it was a concern if a woman cut her hair. Appearance is important and
may leave false thoughts about someone. In addition, they judged each other over
the meat they purchased from the market. Was the meat used in the worship of
idols? The members of the church in Corinth were faced with the influence of
every evil surrounding them along with the judgement of those within the
church. Paul reminded them that it is about the heart condition and their
conscience.
With all consideration, what does our conscience tell us?
Have we been influenced to follow a liar or an abuser? Have our minds been
fooled to go where they lead instead of seeking the truth? With today's
technology, we can fact check everything, but we don't as we let our conscience
thoughts follow those seeking their own wealth and not our best interest. In consideration,
do we simply follow the influencer with the crowd to stay with the flow of
society instead of our conscience?
Now, as I finish reading Paul's letter to Corinth, I see
this as a letter from Paul to the people and country I love. We all have become
followers of some sort of influencer. Everything we let into our souls will
control our thoughts. Every shocking false statement will be reposted to
influence others. As they say, "If he believes it, it must be true because
he is a good person." So, more follow. Yes, I see many good people following
the lies.
Why?
We all follow our conscience. Our conscience will lead us to
follow an influencer of the world or the best influencer of all ages. I choose
the best INFLUENCER of all ages. The influencer of the world leads us to think 'good deeds' are
the way to heaven. An influencer has said, "I hope I have
done enough good deeds to get into heaven." This statement should make all
the Christian followers to stop, pray, and witness to this influencer. However,
I don't know what they are thinking. I don't understand their reasoning. I just
pray.
Now, my advice to all is to begin with praying and seeking
God.
Start your day with God. Instead of reaching for the phone
to check out social media, reach for your Bible and give God your first minutes or hour of the morning.
No social media. No latest news. No morning daydreams. Just GOD and HIS WORDS
to start your day to lead and give discernment.
As Paul wrote in his first letter to Corinth: "But I say
that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not
to God; and I would not that you should have fellowship with devils. You cannot
drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of the devils: you cannot be partakers
of the Lord's table, and of the devils." (10:20,21)
Do not judge but do examine the one you follow. Does your
influencer truly seek your good, or do they attack those who speak the truth
about them? When you begin your day with social media, news, or gossip, does it
leave you calm and at peace?
OH! To be more like Paul and be able to proclaim:
"Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the
profit of many, that they may be saved." (1 Corinthians 10:33)
Oh! May God, my INFLUENCER, help me discern His truth, reflect His love, and lead me to share the gospel.
Choose the greatest of all, THE INFLUENCER. Choose to start
the day following God, not the blunders of the world.
Comments
Post a Comment