Hold On, Don't Let the Gospel Slip Away
Therefore, we ought to give the more earnest heed to the
things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip. Hebrews
2:1
As I studied the apostles' letters to the churches, I was challenged by the repeated reminder that Jesus obediently yielded to the cross for our sins. All the writers repeated the message of salvation which came through the cross where Christ's blood was shed for our sins. Jesus died on the cross, buried in a tomb, and on the third day the tomb was empty. Jesus Christ arose from the dead and lives. He lives! 'After the Lord had spoken to them, he was received up into heaven and sat on the right hand of God.' Mark 16:19
The apostles departed and obeyed Jesus' command, 'Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.' (Mark 16:14)
They spread the gospel teaching salvation, the power of the Holy Spirit, and how to live out their faith.
Now, here we are thousands of years later. We have their message. We have the repeated reminders in each of the letters written by the apostles. Yet, as a recipient of those letters, I need those reminders. I cling to the gospel daily to be reminded of God's love and faithfulness.
Yet, I still fail. We get busy with life. We have our jobs, clubs, committees, neighbors, friends, activities, keeping up with our children and grandchildren, and all the distractions of this sinful world. Then, there is social media: Face Book, Instagram, TikTok, X, and more. How much time do I waste scrolling? How does social media feed our pride, self-righteousness, and judgmental nature? As I was considering my faults, I opened my Bible. Where did it fall? Hebrews 2: 'take heed' to what I have learned from the gospel and do not let those lessons 'slip' away. "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at first began to be spoken by the Lord and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him." (3)
Now, 'I will put my trust in Him.' (13)
As I continue to read Hebrews 2, verses 14 and 15 reminds me, "as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that has the power of death, that is the devil."
Through the shedding of his blood at calvary, Jesus destroyed the power of death which is the devil. With my faith in God, I can defeat the temptations that come my way. I can resist those temptations not allowing those lessons and my faith slip away. I can be transformed daily 'by the renewing of my mind proving what is that good, acceptable, and perfect will of God.' (Romans 12:2)
Yet do we let our busy lives and our weaknesses let the gospel teachings slip away? Just what am I doing! Just what are you doing! Is that post of ourselves essential? Could I have been praying instead of scrolling for an hour? How many times do I say that I will pray for someone and don't? While you are assuring someone of your prayers, are you actually gossiping? How anxious are we to be the first to share some news? So often we all make our intentions look good while they only hurt someone. How often do we let God's love and teachings slip away?
In conclusion, work with me to not allow any of God's Words to slip away. Pray daily for God's guidance and open the Bible. Study. Then, seek to follow these instructions from Romans 12: be humble, abhor evil and hang onto that which is good, let love be real not fake, love one another with brotherly love, don't be lazy in service, rejoice in hope, patient in tribulation, pray constantly, practice hospitality, bless those who persecute you, do not curse, rejoice with those rejoicing and weep with those weeping, don't be wise in your own conceits, do not give evil for evil, be honest, live peaceably with all men, do not let anger control you, feed and give drink to your enemy, and overcome evil with good. Simply, start each day 'putting on the Lord Jesus Christ' (Romans 12:14) holding tightly onto Jesus' teachings to never slip away.
Dear friend, are you letting God's Words slip away from your mind, soul, and heart? Are you keeping your faith reflecting God's love to all in your path each day? Accept my challenge to seek God, hold onto God, and don't let God's teaching slip away.
Roman 12:1-3
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith.
Comments
Post a Comment