A Hole in My Roof

There was a hole in my roof.  It could have been worse, but at the moment the rain poured as my tears matched.  I wanted it fixed yesterday and I was assured by the roofer I called that he was sending two men over right away.  It did not happen.  With a forecast of rain, I hoped it would be just a drizzle, but it poured.  So, my heart broke and the tears came.

Why?  Why would I cry?  I rushed out of the office to get some air, but no where to hide to feel sorry for myself.  Did I really feel sorry for myself?  Back at my desk, the work piled up with interruptions.
It is a busy time with a lot to do with closing for the holidays.  My thoughts were, "why don't they get it done?"  How will I handle it all?  Saved by lunch and an offer for some company.

My roof did get fixed.  My brother heard I needed help and came to the rescue.  In the office, most of work done and ready for a short day tomorrow.  But, the tears flowed again on drive home. 

Why?  What is wrong with me?  I don't feel sorry for myself.  I have friends and family who care.  I'm happy with my life.  Everything is good.  The roof is fixed and my work is caught up.  What is wrong with me?

At home, I sit on the couch and resisted the temptation to turn on the television.  I prayed.  With rain pouring on my roof (hole sealed), I meditated and quietly prayed.  I removed distractions and inhaled slowly and let it out slowly.  It's Christmas.  The joy of family.  I love to cook and have children around.  I just had a wonderful weekend with my children and grandchildren.  It was beautiful.  They left for home.  Thoughts of the happy smiles, hugs, laughter, and games reminds me how very blessed I am.  And, thoughts of how Kevin would love his new grandchildren.  Yes, he would have taken care of that hole in the roof.

Now, I realize that it was the hole in my life.  The one where Kevin slipped away leaving only precious memories.  Tears.  There will be more.  I cry when I'm happy.  Go figure! Yes, there will be more tears but not today.

  We all have those moments where we feel helpless and don't know where to turn.  We can turn to video games, television, or other distractions.  These are things that don't heal.  Time in prayer and relaxing in the quiet of my home is helping to fix the hole in my life.  This is where I go to build my faith and grow stronger in the Lord.

"Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands."  Psalms 90:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY