Trust – Who Can You Trust?
Trust – Who Can You Trust?
When we are let down by a friend, it hurts. Trust goes a long way with a faithful and
loyal friend. After being let down
often, it is hard to trust another person.
The pain and disappointment of being let down and judged by someone who you
thought you could trust is hard to get over.
The hurt and distrust leaves an open sore that can only be healed by
time and God.
One would think that the church would be where you can go
for someone to trust. At an early age, I
learned that this is not true. I would
hear church ladies say, “I’m just letting people know so they can pray.” Since I knew what was being said was not
true, my thoughts were “how do we pray?”
Then later a church secretary (not my church) came to me with juicy
gossip that a friend of mine was having an affair. I shocked her by calling out the gossip. She had seen my friend having lunch at the Chat
N Chew with her boss. Come on! If someone was having an affair in town, they
definitely would not be having lunch in town.
Bless that ladies heart as she never shared gossip with me again. I grew up with feelings that if I had
something confidential to share, don’t go to the church ladies.
Where there is no trust, there is no true friendship. Friends do not judge, but are there for you
to lean on when things are not going well.
Job of the Bible found that his friends were quick to judge. Instead of being there for support, they
judged him and let him know that God would not let a righteous man suffer. After Job lost everything, he was judged and
condemned his friends. In Job chapter 8
verses 14 and 15 Bildad tells Job, “Whose hope shall be cut off, and whose
trust shall be a spider’s web. He shall
lean upon his house, but it shall not stand: he shall hold it fast, but it
shall not endure.” Bildad used
scripture to judge Job. As a southern
lady I say, “Bless his heart, for he does not know his friend.” And, “whose trust shall be a spider’s web:” a
spider web can be easily torn down and one can have little trust in such a house,
but don’t forget the spider. The spider
is faithful and will rebuild that web each time the wind blows it down. In the end, God is faithful to help us
rebuild and stand back on our feet each time we fall down. Job’s friends were not trustworthy, but God
blessed Job with more than he had before because he trusted in God.
Over the years, I learned who I can trust. Yes, there are people that are supportive and
trustworthy. However, my trust is in
God.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart..” Proverbs 3:5
Comments
Post a Comment