My Stress Manager
Yesterday, I spent
break time and lunch reading the February issue of Better Homes and
Garden. I enjoy reading the sections
with decorating ideas and recipes. This
issue has an article on “Stress Management” in the Better Health section on
page 122. The article is divided into
four parts: “the mind-body guru” by Aggie Casey, “the nutritionist” by Keri
Glassman, “the psychologist” by Mary Alvord, and “the fitness pro” by Maria
Guerra. Stress affects the heart and
due to stress there are more young women having heart problems. It is the February issue so the magazine is
focusing on things of the “heart.”
Therefore, Better Homes and Garden has suggestions through four experts
on “ways to cope with life’s pressures so you can safeguard your heart and your
overall health.”
As I read the article,
I found it informative and a repetition of what I’ve read in the past. The experts suggested relaxing techniques,
good nutrition, connecting with people outside of work, hobbies that relaxes,
and exercising. I’ve done them all. When I was younger, running relaxed me and
gave me energy for the rest of the day, and when something stressed me, I would
run and run. It helped. Another, stress reliever was going out with
my love and taking our time over dinner and talking. Gardening relaxes me and takes my mind away
from the stress. As for nutrition,
chocolate, dark chocolate gives my mind and body what it needs. Well, the nutritionist says to eat
healthy. All though informative, I
found that something was missing.
The missing link in the
article is the spiritual side of handling stress. Yes, the article suggests breathing and
counting or focusing on mentally creating a square, but this is not focusing on
something spiritual. Way back in
October, I had had a stressful day, a stressful week, a stressful month, and
felt over whelmed with everything that had to be done in what I felt like a
short time. And, I felt unappreciated
and lonely. These are the days when I
just can’t let myself walk into my empty house, because there is no one
there. It was a nice autumn day with the
leaves just turning. There is a bench
under a tree in my front yard, a gift from a special couple, and I chose to sit
there and breathe. I closed my eyes and
mentally focused on my tense muscles. I
slowly breathed in and slowly let the air out.
I was preparing to pray, but a song came to mind, “I Shall Not Be Moved.” I loved the way the congregation at Cedar
Grove Baptist in Newton, Mississippi sang this song. The melody and words came to me and I
silently sang. The tension was going away; I prayed and
talked to God. Then, someone, like human
voice, was saying something to me. It was
a neighbor with her daughter. They were
asking for something, and we talked and I listened as they told me about how
they were looking forward to her husband coming home from Afghanistan. I needed my time with God and I needed that
conversation. It didn’t have to be about
me. And, this is the missing link in the
article on stress and in so many people’s lives, peace and comfort from God.
“Blessed is the man who
trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord. For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes,
but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor
will cease from yielding fruit.”
Jeremiah 17:7-8
Comments
Post a Comment