Showing Hospitality and God's Love
Today, in our country, we witness the battling among the political parties about immigration. Personally, I see our political parties acting as children who will disagree just because the other party agrees. Instead of coming together to work for the greater good of our country, they are battling each other, just to show each stands for something different. This is not about our political parties, but about the citizens of the United States. What do we as citizens do about immigrants and strangers in our cities and towns?
In my study in Leviticus, I came across some very good advise in chapter 19 verses 33 and 34, "And if a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not mistreat him. But the stranger who dwells among you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself."
If all the citizens of the USA will welcome our visitors (legal or not legal) and reach out to them with care and concern, there will be less friction. If each of us will put aside our prejudices and preconceived beliefs to get to know one another, we will find that there is not much difference between us. Most people want caring friends, understanding neighbors, and a confirmation of a better future for their children. We all want safety in our homes, workplace, towns, states, and country. It starts with each citizen showing respect to each other and hearts willing to show love to each other and our visitors. Then, the end result will be less battling and disrespect, and maybe, just maybe, it will turn a bitter, disturbed mind away from violence.
I'm not totally a naïve person. I know that there will still be some whose minds have been turned to hate that will not be touched by a caring neighbor . However, if I obey the words of God, I will have peace. I will have confidence that showing love and kindness is better than judging.
Leviticus 19: 16 - 18
"You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people; nor shall you take a stand against the life of your neighbor: I am the Lord. You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord." (NKJV)
Comments
Post a Comment