Are You a Stiff-Necked Christian?

"Not for your righteousness, or for the uprightness of your heart, do you go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the Lord your God do drive them out from before you, and that he may perform the word which the Lord sware unto your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Understand therefore, that the Lord your God give you not this good land to possess it for your righteousness; for you are a stiff-necked people."  Deut. 9:4,5

     As I'm reading Deuteronomy, I try to imagine God's disappointment with the children of Israel.  He loves them, and he is preparing to give them something which they do not deserve.  It reminds me of the role parents play in their children's life.  We train them to be respectful.  We teach them the importance of responsibility.  Then, there are days we wonder where did we go wrong.  The rebellious child runs against everything the parents have taught them.  Yet, we still love them.  We attempt to change them through discipline, but sometimes they do not change.  It hurts.  It disappoints.  Do we get angry?  Yes!  God was angry.  Yet, he had made a promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  So, even though they do not deserve the good land which they will inherit, God will give it to them.  He will give the land to them because he loved Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob who were righteous men.  

     Unfortunately, many of the men entering the land were not righteous.  But, still, they will receive the inheritance.  In Deuteronomy, Moses prepares the men, women, and children for their inheritance.  The inheritance comes with the responsibility to obey all the laws given to them by God.  Moses reminds them of their journey and the reason for the forty year delay of receiving their inheritance.  They have laws to obey, but God also requires them to love him.  In chapter six and verse five Moses tells them, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might."  In other words, they are to love God with all that is within them..  Again, in chapter seven and verse nine, "Know therefore that the Lord your God, he is God, the faithful God, which keeps covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations."  God will keep his promise, and he will continue to love them.  Will the children of Israel obey and love God as he loves them?

     Do Christians today love God, and are they obeying God?  I can't help comparing the church of today with the children of Israel.  I compare mostly those of us who are complacent in our faith.  If you read my blogs or follow me on Twitter, you will know that I have a problem with church doctrine.  I have a problem with a church or group who concentrates more on which interpretation of the Bible is correct.  They place doctrine before reaching the lost.  Some place church heritage before salvation.  Some talk but show no action.  Many of us sit in church on Sunday but do not show God's love the rest of the week.  At times, we put politics before God.  However, I can't answer for others.  I can only examine myself and repent of my wrongs. Repent of my pride and self righteousness.  God forgives.    My challenge is how to share the gospel.  God is working on me and helping me.  I'm praying for my neighbors.  I'm praying for my church.  Yes, I love God, and I don't want to be a stiff-necked Christian.

"Furthermore the Lord spoke to me, saying, 'I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiff-necked people.'"  Deut. 9:13

     Moses did not stop preaching to the "stiff-necked people."  He started from the beginning and named every sin.  In chapter nine verse sixteen, "you had sinned against the Lord your God."  In verse twenty-two, "you provoked the Lord to wrath."  And, verse twenty-four where Moses says, "You have been rebellious against the Lord from the day that I knew you."  Moses reminded them of his prayer for them, "Remember your servants, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; look not unto the stubbornness of this people, not to their wickedness, not to their sin." (Deut. 9:24)  Moses prayed and fasted for forty days many times for these sinful and ungrateful children.  God heard his prayers and forgave them.  As they prepare to cross Jordan to their inheritance, Moses reminds them of their sins and their responsibility.  He repeats the laws to them.  He reminds them to obey the laws, fear God, and to have faith.  

     From Moses example, I see my responsibility.  Yes, there are many stiff-necked Christians in the United States.  We have life easy.  We have good jobs, nice cars, and a place to live.  We are always wanting more.  There are many distractions for Christians attempting to follow God.  I start with me.  Next, I fulfill my responsibility by living as God leads and showing God's love through my actions.  Help those who don't have.  Encourage those who need to be lifted up.  Share the gospel of Jesus Christ.  

    How about you?  I challenge you to open your Bible to Deuteronomy and read chapters six through eleven.  Read Moses' words to the unrighteous children of Israel.  Examine yourself.  Are you stiff-necked in any way?  Where can you improve your testimony with God?  Get involved in a small group Bible Study.  If none, be brave and start one.  Pray.  God answers.  Believe.  Be faithful.  Don't be stiff-necked.

Deut: 10:12 - 22 (NKJ)

And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His statutes which I command you today for your good? Indeed heaven and the highest heavens belong to the Lord your God, also the earth with all that is in it. The Lord delighted only in your fathers, to love them; and He chose their descendants after them, you above all peoples, as it is this day.

 Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer. 

For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality nor takes a bribe. He administers justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the stranger, giving him food and clothing. Therefore love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. You shall fear the Lord your God; you shall serve Him, and to Him you shall hold fast, and take oaths in His name. He is your praise, and He is your God, who has done for you these great and awesome things which your eyes have seen. Your fathers went down to Egypt with seventy persons, and now the Lord your God has made you as the stars of heaven in multitude.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY