Order = Peace
Reading through Leviticus is very difficult. At least it was for me. I'm reading through the Bible again. I was tempted to skip reading Leviticus, but I read it. At one point, I called Leviticus a bloody book. Basically, Leviticus is a guide for the priest and Levites. God gave them detail instructions on the creation of the tabernacle and every item. Then, comes the book of Numbers. And, more details are given. God had every detail planned for their travels. God set up a system for the travelers. They camped in groups according to tribe. A census of all men age twenty and older were counted in order to form an army. In Numbers chapter ten, two silver trumpets were made 'for the calling of the assembly, and for the journeying of the camps.' (vs 1) As I read the instructions for the silver trumpets, it occurred to me the detail of all the instructions, laws, and plans from God was to give order. These details gave them order, so there would be no confusion. Without confusion, the Israelites knew what was expected of them, and with order, there is peace.
There is peace as long as people know that there are consequences for not following the law. An example is the laws for highway safety. We drive on the designated side of the road. There are speed limits and road signs to obey. Sometimes, if we don't follow the rules of the highway, a life may be lost. Next, there are laws to protect the individual. Do not murder, do not steal, and do not cheat are covered in many laws. Basically, most laws are in regards of respecting the life and dignity of each other. What if a few decide that if there is a justifiable reason for the crime, it isn't a crime? What if leaders decide a certain group of people will not be punished if they commit a crime? What will happen to the city or country? Simple answer is with no law and order, there is no safety and peace for the people.
Going back to Moses with the thousands of men, women, and children, they needed order for a peaceful journey to the promised land. God kept the Israelites at the foot of Mt. Sinai for around nine months. God gave them the ten commandments, laws for everything, and detail instructions for the journey. They contributed and made all the items for the tabernacle and detail instructions on the assembly and disassembly of the tabernacle. It can be a very boring read. As I read this time, I realized the importance of each detail, law, and punishment, and it wasn't as boring as it had been before. I always thought the penalties were too heavy, but when I considered the circumstances of their situation, there was no other way. They were not settled in one place. They were traveling on foot with no permanent home to live yet. Order and peace among the tribes were needed for their goal of the promised land to come. Order was needed so they could travel in peace.
As I consider the Israelites journey with God leading them to the promised land, I consider America. Many around the world want to live in America, because they consider America the Promised Land. The land of 'milk and honey.' The land where there are jobs and opportunities. However, people are in the streets protesting injustice. People are promoting the protests because their hope is for a socialist country. As they call our president Hitler, they are using the tactics of Hitler and socialist dictators. They justify the destruction of buildings and the stealing to reparation for slavery. However, there are no slaves in America. It is part of our past history not present history. In this present time, America can have order and peace. First, agree to work together for America to bring justice for all. Justice comes by keeping the laws of the land and respecting each individual's freedom and uniqueness. Justice comes when all political parties will work with the president to help the people. There is no room for hate, and there should be punishment for crimes against society and the individual. Finally, it is having just laws to keep order so there will be peace in the our land.
Comments
Post a Comment