Facing the Enemy
"As the proverb of the ancients says, 'Wickedness proceeds from the wicked;' but my hand shall not be upon you." I Samuel 24:13
Surely, David had a pure heart. As I read I Samuel, I read over and over of Saul's pursuit to kill David. As David lived in fear of Saul, he lived in caves, forests, and the wilderness. Many times he had little food to eat. Many times Saul and his thousands of soldiers were nearby. In chapter twenty four, David and his men were hiding in a cave. Saul entered the cave to rest. Now, here was David's opportunity for revenge. Yet, David took this encounter to face his enemy.
If you know the story of this encounter in the cave, you know that David did not kill Saul but 'cut off the skirt of Saul's robe.' David's men had encouraged him to take care of Saul. So, he merely cut some fabric from Saul's robe. Even then, David felt guilty for this small act and kept his men from harming Saul. His enemy was with them in the cave, yet David chose to not harm the king, his enemy. Instead, he chose to face his enemy face to face.
When Saul left the cave, David followed him. He let Saul know that the opportunity for revenge was there. David said to Saul: “My lord the king!”
And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with his face to the earth, and bowed down. And David said to Saul: “Why do you listen to the words of men who say, ‘Indeed David seeks your harm’? Look, this day your eyes have seen that the Lord delivered you today into my hand in the cave, and someone urged me to kill you. But my eye spared you, and I said, ‘I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed.’ Moreover, my father, see! Yes, see the corner of your robe in my hand! For in that I cut off the corner of your robe, and did not kill you, know and see that there is neither evil nor rebellion in my hand, and I have not sinned against you. Yet you hunt my life to take it. Let the Lord judge between you and me, and let the Lord avenge me on you. But my hand shall not be against you. As the proverb of the ancients says, ‘Wickedness proceeds from the wicked.’ But my hand shall not be against you. After whom has the king of Israel come out? Whom do you pursue? A dead dog? A flea? Therefore let the Lord be judge, and judge between you and me, and see and plead my case, and deliver me out of your hand.” (vs 8 - 15)
Now, this is courage! David stepped out of the safety of the cave to face Saul. Saul had 3,000 soldiers with him. David bowed before Saul with 3,000 soldiers with orders to kill him. This is courage! As I read, I wonder if I could have this same courage to face my enemies or my accusers. We may not be in danger of being killed, but there are people who chose for some reason to hate us. It may be due to a misunderstanding, jealousy, or pride. Obviously, there is no way to know why unless we face the enemy. The enemy may be attacking you through lies. The enemy may be attacking you with false accusations. The enemy may be simply someone who hates you. Can you face your enemy as David?
I have faced my enemy in the past. A supervisor wanted revenge against me due to something she thought I had done. When she found the opportunity to attack me, she attacked with false accusations. I faced the enemy. It was hard. I forgave her. She did not want to be forgiven; she wanted me to be hurt. Everyone she used to hurt me in turn defended me, because I chose to forgive. I cried a lot. It hurt a lot. However, after facing her and walking away, I felt a burden lifted. I felt peace. The problem she created lingered for a short while, but I had the respect of all involved and peace of mind. Also, I defeated the enemy by facing the enemy.
David faced Saul, his enemy. David's bravery and words brought tears to Saul. Saul knew he was wrong. Saul continued to pursue David knowing that he could not win. Evil had overtaken Saul. Saul had said to David that day, "You are more righteous than I, because you have rewarded me with good, where I have rewarded you with evil." (vs 17)
Now, can you face your enemy? Be assured, the enemy may remain your enemy, but if you have God on your side as you face your enemy, you will have nothing to fear.
Comments
Post a Comment