Road to Rome: The Arrest
“Now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not
knowing the things that shall befall me there. Save that the Holy Ghost
witnessed in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me. But none
of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I
might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the
Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.” Acts 20:22-24
It is Paul’s third day back in Jerusalem. He had rushed to
Jerusalem because he wished to be in the temple for Pentecost. According to
custom, Paul purifies himself before entering the temple. Jews from Asia
recognizes Paul as the evangelist who preached to the Gentiles. They stir up
the people in the temple with their report of Paul taking Gentiles into the
temple. Then, they cry out, “Men of Israel, help! This is the man that instructs
all men everywhere against the people, and the law, and this place. Further, he
brought Greeks also into the temple and has polluted this place.” (Acts 21:28)
The people take Paul out of the temple closing the doors of
the temple. The crowd is beating Paul and the chief captain hears that there is
an uproar and rushes to take care of the incident with soldiers and centurions
to control the riot. The crowd is wild with shouting while others beat Paul.
When they see to soldiers and centurions coming, they stop beating Paul. The
captain orders the soldiers to place Paul in chains and demands who is this man
and what is the crime. The crowd shout out many accusations, so the captain
does not understand the crime and orders Paul to be taken to the castle.
The soldiers take Paul. The crowd is following shouting,
“Away with him! Away with him!”
Paul turns to the chief captain and asks, “May I speak?
The chief captain replies, “Can you speak Greek? Aren’t you
the Egyptian who caused a riot and took 4,000 murderers into the wilderness?”
Paul says, “I am a man which am a Jew of Tarsus, a city in
Cilicia, and citizen of no mean city: and I beseech you, suffer me to speak
unto the people.” (21:39)
Paul turns to look down at the people. Silence. He speaks to
them in Hebrew. When they hear Paul speaking in Hebrew, there is more silence. All
are still waiting on Paul’s words.
“I am a man. I am a Jew, born in Tarsus. Yet, I came to
Jerusalem, sat at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect
manner of the law of the fathers. I was zealous toward God, as you all are
today. I persecuted both men and women. Some were imprisoned and some were killed.
Also, the high priest and all the elders can bear witness of my deeds. I was
given letters to go to Damascus to bring those preaching of the resurrection to
Jerusalem for punishment. As I drew close to Damascus, a great light was around
me. Those travelling with me could see the light but not hear the voice.”
“Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
I asked, “Who are you?”
“I am the Jesus of Nazareth, whom you persecute. Arise, and
go into Damascus: and there it shall be told to you all the things you are
appointed to do.”
I was blind. Those with me had to lead me to Damascus.
Ananias, a devout man according to the law, came to me. When he said, “receive
your sight.” I could see. He told me, “The God of our fathers has chosen you.
You will know his will, see the Just One, and hear his voice. You will be his
witness unto all men of what you have seen and heard. Go be baptized and wash
away your sins.”
I went back to Jerusalem and was in the temple praying when
I saw Jesus saying to me, “Make haste, and go quickly out of Jerusalem because
they will not receive your testimony concerning me.” I reminded to Lord about the people I had
beaten and sent to prison. I reminded him that I was standing by holding the
raiment of those who stoned Stephen. I consented to the death of Stephen.
He replied to me, “Go. Because I will send you far away unto
the Gentiles.”
With these last words from Paul, the crowd shouts to the top
of their voices, “Away with him!” As they cried out they took off their clothes
and threw dust into the air. So, Paul is taken to the castle to be scourged. As
they bound Paul, Paul asked, “Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a
Roman and not condemned of a crime?” Paul was not scourged but placed in prison
overnight.
The chief captain calls the Sanhedrin council to come the
next morning. They come. After Paul talks about the resurrection of Jesus. This
brings conflict between the Sadducees and Pharisees. They could not all agree
on Paul’s crime, so the chief captain makes plans to take Paul to appear to
Felix in Caesarea.
Paul’s journey to Rome is just beginning. He was warned on
his way to Jerusalem. He was asked to not go, but he knew persecution was ahead.
Did he feel like he deserves punishment for the persecution he gave to the early
Christians? No matter. Paul was prepared to suffer as he said while in was in
Ephesus, ‘I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have
received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.’ Praise
God! Paul continued to be a witness before his persecutors.
Comments: If you read this far, please go to the scriptures
and read Acts 19 – 28. Note Luke’s detail of the events. He was there as a
witness, so he could write about the great missionary, Paul. Paul is a blueprint
for all of us who shares the gospel.
Comments
Post a Comment