Road to Rome: Witness to Rulers

 Five days after arriving in Caesarea, Paul is called to stand before Felix and his accusers. Ananias, the high priest, and the elders brought an orator named Tertullus to speak against Paul. Tertullus was there to convince the governor of Paul’s wrongs and proves to be an eloquent speaker.

First, Tertullus uses words to soften Felix towards their cause: “By your honor, we enjoy great quietness, and you bring worthy deeds to our nation. We accept it always, and in all places, most noble Felix, with all thankfulness. I do not want to bore you. I pray you will hear our clemency in a few words. Therefore, we have found this man a pestilent fellow, a mover of sedition among all the Jews throughout the world, and a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes. He has gone about to profane the temple. We took him and would have judged him according to our law, but Captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands. Then, he commanded the accusers to come to you. By examining of whom thyself may take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him.” (Acts 24:2-8)

The Jews agreed to all things said by Tertullus. Now, Felix calls Paul to defend himself. Simply, Paul reports that he came to worship in the temple. He continues, “I worship the God of my fathers, believing all thing which are written in the law and prophets. I have hope in God, which they themselves allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both just and the unjust. Therefore, I do exercise myself, to always have a conscience void of offence toward God, and toward men. After many years, I came to bring alms to my nation and offerings. It was there in the temple that they falsely accuse me. I object to the accusations. The same accusations the council bring before you today. Except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them. I am called in question today by you concerning the resurrection of the dead.” (Acts 24: 14-21)

They all are standing before Governor Felix waiting on a verdict. Felix may have been considering the letter he had received from Captain Lysias. The letter did not agree with the report from the Jews. The Jews have no proof of a crime. There was only one verdict. Nothing. With everything he already knew, he defers judgement until Lysias comes to Caesarea to give his full report. The Jews return to Jerusalem. Felix orders a centurion to keep Paul and give him liberty. Paul was not allowed to see his friends, but he was not in a dark prison cell. Paul was kept a prisoner only for the pleasure of the Jews.

Paul’s time in Caesarea was not wasted. He never stopped sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. A few days after Paul’s trial, Felix calls Paul to meet his wife, Drusilla, a Jew. Paul shared about his faith in Christ. He reasoned with them concerning righteousness, temperance, and judgement to come. Acts 24:25,26 reads, “Felix trembled, and answered, ‘Go your way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for you.’ He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might free him: wherefore he sent for him more often and communed with him.”

After two years, Felix is relieved of his position and Porcius Festus comes to replace him. Again, the Jews appeal to the new governor to hand Paul over to them. Festus wished to please the Jews, but after hearing the accusations and Paul say, “I stand at Caesar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged,” he decided to send Paul to Rome. As Paul waited to go to Rome, he shared the gospel.

Paul had already shared the gospel with Felix. Now, he will share the gospel with the new governor and King Agrippa. King Agrippa and Bernice came to Caesarea to greet the new governor. Felix shared information about Paul with King Agrippa. In Acts 25:19, Felix refers to the matter as being over matters of ‘their own superstition.’ King Agrippa became interested in the ‘superstition’ and asked to meet Paul. So, the next day, ‘with great pomp, they entered into the place of hearing, with the chief captains, and principal men of the city, at Festus’ commandment Paul was brought forth.” (Acts 25:23) Festus gives a long introduction about Paul’s cause. Then, King Agrippa asks Paul to speak for himself, and Paul preaches to all present.

Paul begins, “I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before you to touch all the things whereof, I am accused of the Jews: Especially because I know you to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews: wherefore I beseech you to hear me patiently.” Acts 26:2,3

Paul begins with his youth and moves to when he became a Pharisee. He shares about how he persecuted those who followed Jesus. Next, he shares about his conversion on the road to Damascus. After his conversion, he taught the gospel to the Jews and the Gentiles. “For these causes the Jews caught me in the temple and went about to kill me. Having obtained help from God, I continue unto this day witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come: That Christ should suffer and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should show light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.” Acts 26:22,23

After hearing Paul, King Agrippa says, “Almost you persuaded me to be a Christian.”

In the end, Paul preached. Some believed and some almost persuaded. Yet, Paul continued to obey God. He knew his journey would end in Rome. He was in Caesarea over two years before departing for Rome. Yet, while he waited, he shared the gospel. Paul is a true example of how we all should serve God.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY