Jesus' Parable of the Weeds
As I read Jesus' parables in Matthew, I wonder if today's "End Timer Prophets" even consider the parable of the weeds in Matthew 13. Yes, I call them "End Timer Prophets." There are many on social media platforms warning the time is near. Growing up in the church, I was taught the prophesies from the Bible as interpreted by 20th century minds. Many books have been published with man's interpretation of the Bible's prophesy of the end times of this world. I have always wondered why many of them never mention the mosque that has been on the Temple Mount for centuries and how they think this temple fit into prophesy. These are only my thoughts as I read Jesus' parable of the weeds.
Jesus' parable of the weeds gives a picture of the harvest in the end times of this world. The parable begins with Jesus saying, "The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed seed in his field." Then, as soon as the seeds are planted, the enemy plants weeds. As a gardener, I know how weeds can choke out the good seeds or make the growth less productive. If the weeds are established with a good root system, my plants will come up with the weeds if I attempt to pull the weeds up. So, the weeds stay and bloom with my little harvest. Now, the parable ends with the master saying, "Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, 'Gather together first the weeds, and bind them in bundles to burn them; but gather the wheat into my barn." (vs 30)
After Jesus sent the multitude away, his disciples come to him asking about the parable about the weeds. I imagine Jesus going into a house to rest with his disciples following him. As they sit around resting while eating some supper, the disciples ask Jesus about the parable of the weeds. After a long day, Jesus teaches his disciples the meaning of this parable.
Simply, the field is the world, the good seed are the children of God, and the weeds are the children of the wicked one. The enemy who planted the weeds is the devil. They live together in this world influencing each other until the time of the harvest. The harvest is the end of the world. Yes, this world has an end. Even, the richest man in the world knows this fact and is seeking to create his own world. In the end, the Son of man will send his angels to gather out of his kingdom 'all things that offend and them who do iniquity. And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.' (vs 41,42)
"Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." (vs 43)
After his explanation, Jesus continues with the parable of the hidden treasure and the parable of the pearl merchant. They both sold all they had for a treasure. This treasure is Jesus. Each of these disciples left their jobs and families to follow Jesus. The true treasure is our faith in God.
Then, Jesus asked them, "Do you understand."
And they replied, "Yes, Jesus."
Jesus concluded to them, "Every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which brings out of his treasure things new and old." (vs 52)
I see this as Jesus reminding them of the scribes who wrote the Old Testament. In their time, the scribes were those who wrote about the promise of a Messiah. Now, they were being taught by the promised Messiah.
In conclusion, this parable gives what will happen at the end of this world. What will happen leading up to that day? There will be signs. How are we to know those signs? By seeking God through scripture and prayer, we will know when the time comes. In the meantime, we are to thin out the weeds by sharing the gospel and God's love with the nations.
Comments
Post a Comment