THE HARVEST IS READY - COMPASSION FOR THE EMPTY PEWS

 



“Do you not say, ‘There are still four months and then comes the harvest’? Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest!”

John 4:45

Reading Matthew 9 this morning. "When he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd." Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest truly is plenteous, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest that he will send forth laborers into his harvest." Matthew 9:36-38

Under these verses, I had written some time ago, "Look at the empty pews - we need laborers today for the masses." 

Back then - whenever that was - my concern was for people to go get those missing and bring them to God and back to fill the empty pews. This morning, the word compassion stands out. COMPASSION, is it lacking in the church? Then, I consider myself. Do I have compassion?

Many years ago, I was riding with a friend, Alice, to Myrtle Beach for a retirement celebration of a co-worker at La-Z-Boy. As we were closer to the beach, the Friday afternoon traffic was massive. I'll never forget the words Alice said as we slowly moved in the traffic: "Look at all the people. I wonder how many know the LORD." Those words touched me. Alice's compassion was in her voice and glassy eyes. "Just how many truly walk with our LORD and Savoir?" Compassion.

I question myself: Where is my compassion? I stopped and prayed. You know the opposite of compassion is judgmental and we can't have both.

Psalms 103 comes to mind. The word compassion is mentioned multiple times. In verse 9, "The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in mercy." As a Christian, where is my compassion? As I see people, do I see them as Alice did or do I judge them from their appearances, actions, and words? If I throw compassion out the back door, where is my love for them? If we can't love them, we can't have compassion for them. Without God's love and compassion, how can we honestly share the gospel with them?

Now, back to "Look at the empty pews - we need laborers today for the masses." 

After Jesus said to the disciples, "The harvest truly is plenteous, but the laborers are few. Pray therefore the Lord of the harvest that he will send forth laborers into his harvest," he sends them to the masses in chapter 10. "He gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease." (vs 1) He sent them to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel." (vs 6) They started at home - in their own congregation. 

Are we looking around to see who is missing each Sunday? Do we call or visit? Do we show them we care and miss them? Or, do we make assumptions and talk about them? You know, the thing we call "gossip." 

What are we doing about those empty pews? Do we let them stay empty? Or, do we pick up the phone and let them know we miss them? Do we invite them to a Bible Study? Do we visit and let them know we care? Or, do I care? Do you care? Where is our compassion and love?

In conclusion, note that Jesus sent his disciples to their own congregation before sending them to the Gentile nations. Our mission field starts at home with the empty pews. "Pray you therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth laborers into his harvest." (Matthew 9:38) Let's work on those empty pews with compassion and love.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY