Giving Control to Love Not Anger

 


When we consider anger, just what comes to mind? It is an emotion. It is a bad emotion leading to many more bad emotions and events. If only we can control all those destructive emotions that enter into our hearts and minds. If only we can just make ourselves walk away before over reacting. If only.......

As I was studying my Sunday School lesson a few weeks ago, I stopped and considered the words of Colossians 3: 8 and 9. 


What is the first item on the list in Colossians 3:8? Anger. The emotion which brings temper tantrums, revenge, cursing, and a few lies to bring down the person or group that you let get under your skin. If only, we did not get angry. However, we do. Then, when we do get angry, can we avoid using it for evil? Can we walk away and turn it over to God?

As I considered my own life, there are times that I wish my anger did not control me. One of those times I regret was the day of the flour on my wet floor. My anger was aimed at the wrong child. My children and their cousins were in the yard playing where I could keep an eye on them while I cleaned my kitchen. After mopping the floor, I walked into the den for a few minutes. I heard a bang and ran back into the kitchen. There was flour all over the wet floor and sweet little Carol. My first assumption was that she had made this mess. I yelled at her. She cried. Then, here comes my oldest daughter with Carol's sister to explain what happened. They were making mudpies in the yard and decided they needed some flour. Patti climbed up onto the counter, removed the canister of flour from the cabinet, and handed it down to Emily. Emily didn't have a good hold on the canister and it flipped over her head and landed on top of Carol. Patti and Emily ran leaving Carol alone in the messy kitchen. There was Carol covered from head to toe with flour. I felt horrible! I took little Carol in my arms and apologized, but it didn't remove the tears. It didn't remove the harsh scolding. If only, I had controlled my anger. 

A lesson was learned. I learned to walk away before reacting. 

Now, as we consider the sins that anger brings, let's look at a verse considering what anger causes.

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; For the wrath of man works not the righteousness of God." James 1: 19,20 (KJV)

How can we serve in the church and Christian ministries when we let our emotions control us instead of God's love? As Paul wrote to Timothy, "I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without anger and disputing." I Timothy 2:8

How can we be a Christian testimony when we do not let God's love show in our every action? In 1 Corinthians 13, Paul wrote, "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profits me nothing. Charity suffers long, and is kind; charity does not envy, charity lifts not itself, is not puffed up. Does not behave unseemly, seeks not her own way, is not easily provoked, does not think evil." (3-5)

Now, considering this broken world, so many have let anger hurt their reputations and separate them from God's all powerful love. The key is love. The more we grow in God's love giving up self will anger and those judgmental ways fade away. With God in us, 'be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:32) Simply, seek God and let God's love control your actions not your anger.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY