The Love That Counts

As I have gotten older, I see life from a different perspective. Things that were once important are no longer important to me. I have lost a sister to cancer; she was too young and too important to many to leave us so soon. All of my children have made good lives for themselves and their children. I enjoy simple things more. I prefer a quiet week in the mountains or the beach instead of an extravagant vacation at a theme park or a busy resort. To me what counts is how we love.

After reading the book of John, I was reminded how love influences. Love brings what is good into our lives in comparison to hate which brings evil and division. I have witnessed how a loving reaction to a bad situation brings reconciliation and peace. And, I have witnessed how angry words build into hateful actions and pain. Over and over, Jesus healed with a loving spirit. Jesus instructed his disciples to love one another. Jesus knew the hearts of the men crucifying him. Yet, in his love for all humanity, he went to the cross without a fight to give his life for all of their sins. This is God's love and how I wish to love. Yes, God is still working on me to make me what I should be.

Now, as I move into the book of Acts, I imagine the silence and fear in the house where the disciples and followers gathered to wait. Consider Peter. He had betrayed Jesus three times. He ran to hide. Then, when Jesus came to the seashore where the disciples were fishing, he had special instructions for Peter. In John 21:15-19, Jesus asked Peter three times, 'Do you love me?' This reminder had to weigh on Peter's mind as Jesus instructed him three times, 'Feed my sheep.' 

The book of Acts opens with Jesus advising his followers to stay in Jerusalem and 'wait for the promise of the Father.' Jesus had spoken of the promise to them before, but reminded them, 'John the Baptist baptized with water; but you shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost in the days to come.' (Acts 1:4,5) They waited. As they waited, they chose one to replace Judas. Finally, the day of Pentecost came. They all preached and all in Jerusalem understood their words. People from every nation were in Jerusalem and all heard the gospel news in their language. Peter, the one who denied Jesus three times, preached calling for 'repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'  On that day, 3,000 souls step forward believing and became the first church. (Acts 2)


A couple of months earlier, they crucified Jesus. Now, thousands 'continue daily in the temple.' (Acts 2:46) Where are the Pharisees, priests, and ones yelling, "Crucify him"? They killed Jesus. Yet, Jesus lives. His message of salvation is spreading. They did not have media as we do today, but the news spread. All those from other nations went home talking about Jesus. Men on the streets heard the message and went home to share with their family and neighbors. The Good News of God's love for all humanity spread and hearts were changing. 

This is the love that counts. God loved the world so much that he gave His only Son as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, so that whosoever believes in Him will not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 in my words) This is the love I desire to fill my heart and life. A forgiving and loving heart desiring for the world to fully understand and know God's love.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY