A Little About King Arthur and a Little Dose of Faith
King Arthur: Faith and Believe
Stories based on the legend of King Arthur and the Knights
of the Round Table are about the quest between good and evil. I enjoy old literature such as “Le Morte D’Arthur”
by Sir Thomas Malory and other books and tales based on the legend of King
Arthur and Merlin. Without a doubt,
there would be no King Arthur without faithful Merlin. I’ve been watching “Merlin,” a series on
television, over the last few months. Definitely,
the series changes the station in society of the characters among other things,
but each episode has the battle of Good versus Evil with Good winning. In season five and the episode named “The
Disir,” King Arthur has to choose between keeping the ban on magic or accepting
magic in order to save Sir Mordred. As
Merlin and King Arthur are camping outside the cave of the Disir, King Arthur
asks Merlin how he knew that they had entered sacred grounds. Merlin replied, “I feel it.” Merlin could feel it, see it in the
surroundings, and sense the presence of magic, because he had magic in him. King Arthur on the other hand said, “I don’t
believe,” so he sensed and felt nothing.
King Arthur believed in his knights and close friends and had faith in their
allegiance. He did not believe he needed
magic, so he chose to keep magic banned.
With this decision, he had sealed his fate, death by the hands of Sir Mordred. If he had chosen magic, Mordred would have
died of his fatal wounds and King Arthur’s destiny would have changed. King
Arthur considered magic to be evil not realizing that it was magic protecting
him for the good of Camelot.
The magic protecting King Arthur was Merlin’s faith in
magic. Merlin believed in magic and had
faith that magic could work for the good of Camelot. Here are the two words with different
definitions but used together often.
Sometimes, the definitions are confused.
Believe is to accept something as true or hold a strong opinion about
something, and faith is to have a strong confidence in someone or something or
completely trust in someone or something.
Hebrews 11:1 tells us that “faith is the substance of things hoped
for, the evidence of things not seen."
Merlin believed in magic because he had magic, but to have faith in his
magic took more than believing. Merlin
had to have faith that his magic could protect and win over Evil.
Belief and Faith,
we all experience both. Believe comes
from seeing, feeling, and knowing something is true. We can believe in a lot of things. Right now, I turn on the news and I truly
believe that I will hear more promises from politicians running for president
who know these promises can’t be kept.
It is evident, I don’t believe in politicians. I believe in God. As Merlin has magic, I have a Savoir, Jesus
Christ. Yes, I believe, and I have faith
that my God will direct my paths as long as I follow Him. My faith will protect me from the evil
one.
Genesis 15:6 says
of Abraham, “He believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for
righteousness.” Abraham believed in God
and had faith in God’s promises.
Abraham believed God would take care of him as he left his home and
started on his journey. The same
promises are there for us in this new age if we believe. To believe is to accept as true; accept and receive
Jesus into our hearts. Once this step is
made, you will know God is there because you will feel and sense God’s
presence. God will shield and protect
you from evil.
Romans 5:1 and 2
tell us, “being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord
Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we
stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Our faith in God justifies us where we have
peace and access with God through Jesus Christ.
Completely trust Him. Faith will
give us peace and we can rejoice knowing that God is near. Faith assures us that God is with us.
King Arthur had
faith in men, his knights.
Unfortunately, King Arthur was betrayed by those closest to him. He could not bring himself to believe in magic,
the one thing that protected him from evil through Merlin. If only, he could have had faith. In reality, it is better to have faith in God
who “commended his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ
died for us.” (Romans 5:8) In reality,
there is a battle between Good and Evil, and we need to believe in God and have
faith in His power to protect us from Evil.
Comments
Post a Comment