A Servant Heart
I yearn to have a “Servant Heart.” I want to be less about me and more about
others. I’m preparing lessons with the
theme of “It’s Not About Me,” and I want to be able to reflect what I
teach. So, for lent this year I’m
praying for a “Servant Heart.”
“A Servant Heart” brings me back to the legend of
Merlin. In the recent television series,
“Merlin,” Merlin is King Author’s servant, and King Author considers Merlin to
be an idiot, a dumb servant boy. While Merlin
uses his magic to save King Author in battle and in his many knightly quests,
King Author looks like the hero. In the
end, as King Author is near death, Merlin reveals his secret and the king is
shocked and scared. The king wants to
know why Merlin is a servant when he could have everything with his magic. Merlin replies, “It is my destiny.” It was Merlin’s destiny to serve King
Author, the symbol of freedom, so they could defeat Morgana, the symbol of
tyranny and evil. It was the servant,
Merlin, who destroyed (killed) Morgana, with King Author saying, “Peace at
last.” With peace, all in Camelot will
not only have a peaceful existence with other kingdoms, but they will have the
freedom King Author fought to give them.
At the hands of one with a “Servant Heart,” Camelot is freed from the
threat of an evil and subjective ruler.
It was with a “Servant Heart” when Jesus was born in a
humble manger, grew up as the son of a carpenter, ministered to sinners healing
the sick and lame, and died on the cross for all. He told his disciples, “For even the Son of
Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for
many.” (Mark 10:45 NKJV) And, the
writer of Galatians writes in verse thirteen of chapter five, “For you brethren, have
been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the
flesh, but through love serve one another.”
As Christians we are called to serve.
Yes, serve, not using the freedom we have through salvation to build
ourselves up over others, but to serve with love.
Let me repeat it again, “Though I am free from all men, I have made
myself a servant to all, that I might win the more.” (I Corinthians 9:19) I hope you get it; Jesus taught us by his
example to have a “Servant Heart” and I want to have that “Servant Heart.”
Comments
Post a Comment