Self-Control: Our Weaknesses


     We all are tempted with our addictions and weaknesses.   In the moment we take our eyes off Jesus, Satan is there to blindside us with our weaknesses and to take away all self-control.   I know.  He has placed a thorn in my flesh that has taken time away from me.  Time I could have been studying, reading the Bible, and praying.  This weakness took away time I could have been doing something more constructive.   I gave in to a weakness that was not a part of me over five years ago, because television did not appeal to me.

     By now, you may be saying, “Come on! Television!  What is wrong with television?”

     It took me away from Jesus’ plan for me.  Instead of focusing on what I knew I should be doing with my time, I sat there watching television for two years gaining 20 lbs.  There was no self-control.  Each day, I told myself, not tomorrow.  I will work on that project tomorrow.   Then, there I was tomorrow, watching some worthless program.  By the way, it was all rated G, PG, or PG-13.  Still, it became my weakness.  I lost all self-control.

     There was no self-control as I searched out next science fiction while loading up on snacks. 

     Then, my daughter brought me a few books she picked up at a Church Conference.  The Bible Studies opened my eyes to what I needed to do.  Yes, one of the books has a few chapters on self-control.  Mostly, I realized that I needed more time with God.  I was doing something that took me away from God.  Isn’t that what the devil wants!  I let the temptation control me instead of leaning on Jesus.  I let something that I disliked doing years ago become my weakness. 

     Your weakness is most likely not television.  I know many have powerful addictions they fight each day.  Whether the weakness is television, gaming, drugs, alcohol, porn, social media, food, or anything that takes you away from family and God, it is all the same, because those weaknesses takes our eyes off of Jesus.  We must turn it all over to God as we gain more self-control to fight against our weaknesses.   
“Be of sober spirit, be on the alert.  Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.  But resist him, firm in your faith.”                 I Peter 5:8,9a

      The devil wants you to give in to all your weaknesses.  He dangles your weakness in front of you, tempting you to fail.  But, you can resist him and be firm in your faith.  First, repent to God and be sincere with your repentance.  Then, be faithful to God walking away from temptation while walking with Jesus each day.  Read and study the Bible, and pray. In your prayers each day, name your weakness and ask God to keep it away.

    Now, each evening after supper, I don’t turn on the television.  Instead, I’m completing some projects and giving more time to God.   I’m still tempted.  The weakness is still there, but I can defeat it each day by being faithful and with self-control.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY