Self-Control: State of Mind


     This week on one of my morning walks, my thoughts wondered to what is self-control.  As I thought about it, I determined that it is a state of mind.  Then, what affects our state of mind?  What causes us to do what we do?  Why?  I determined self-control does not come easy, because we are controlled by our state of mind.
    An example is the current state of the media and the actions of many liberals.  They are driven by hate of our current president.  Believe me, the man has done a lot to give many reason not to respect him and dislike him because of the ugly things he has said about many people.  He is arrogant and self-absorbed.   He needs some self-control over his mouth and actions.  Now, back to the state of mind of the media and many liberals, they despise and hate our president.  I’ve never seen so much hate in people with their tweets and statements on social media.  They have let their state of mind (hate and disappointment) rule their lives.  They have lost self-control which has led to poor reporting and distraction from the real facts that they should be reporting.  They have an agenda to destroy this president instead of gathering the facts for news broadcasting.  Their state of mind is destroying their credibility in reporting.
   Now, let’s get back to my thoughts on self-control.  So, to be able to have the self-control that is listed in Galatians 5:23 as one of the fruits of the Spirit, we have to control our state of mind.   Can we control our minds?  Can we control what we think? You know, things happen that bring on happiness, anger, guilt, love, hate, and loss of control.  Can we control our own state of mind?  How is it done?
     We can research or google which leads to self-awareness and psychiatry mental evaluations.   I call these short term fixes that have to be repeated.  Then, I think of people like Dr. Ben Carson, Billy Graham, and a few people I’ve met and admire in my life’s journey.  They all have one thing in common, love.  It is a love that comes only from faith and salvation through Jesus Christ. 

Galatians 5:14 – 18 “For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, ‘you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.  But I say, walk in the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.  For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things you please.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.”  (New American Standard Bible)

     My conclusion, we can control our state of mind by letting into our whole being each morning as we awaken the love and desires of our God and Savoir.  By daily committing to serve God and letting His love for all people fill our minds and souls, our state of mind will be controlled by the Spirit of God.   As for me, I pray daily, “Let me see them, Lord, as you see them; so I can love them as You love them.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY