Compassion For the Poor and Needy
The sermon at 3BC this morning using Psalms 72 was centered around God's promise to David that from him will come a king who will rule the world for eternity. This king is the Messiah. The scripture used in the sermon ranged from Genesis to Revelations. I was challenged from this sermon of my own responsibilities of the urgency for evangelism. As time passes, so many of us are failing to share the gospel. As the pastor read verse 13, I looked at what I have done to help others - not enough.
Psalms 72 verse 13 challenged me, 'He will have compassion on the poor and needy, And the lives of the needy he will save." This verse is referring to the king's compassion for the poor and needy. This king is our Messiah, and 'He will rescue their life from oppression and violence, And their blood will be precious in his sight.' (14) As I think about the poor, I think of those without jobs. I've heard reckless advise such as 'they should get a job.' However, I've known people who search for jobs, but there aren't any jobs or they lack the training. In other words, people don't choose to be poor. Some don't choose to be homeless. The cost of living or medical expenses leaves them no choice. What can be done? Or, what can I do?
There isn't much I can do to create jobs. With most of our industrial jobs moved to third world countries, it leaves many without hope for a job. People have to start somewhere. If only we could keep all children in schools, education will give hope for a chance in the job market. I'm not one who believes we should tax the rich and give to the poor. This only increases the ghettos of the cities with more people having no purpose. It comes back to what I can do. What do I have? I have God's love. As I have opportunities to encourage and help, I should not shy away. Encourage youth to work hard in school. Encourage people with my own experiences with jobs and how to apply themselves. Then, I can also share my faith.
Some will ask, 'What good will your faith do to help?' My faith gives hope. It is not false hope. In hard times, all my needs have been supplied due to my faith in God. You can't understand unless you have faith in God. It is like the young rich ruler in Matthew 19 who went to Jesus asking how to obtain eternal life. He obeyed the ten commandments, but he could not give up his riches to follow Jesus. Jesus told him to 'give go sell all his possessions and give to the poor.' Matthew 19;21) He did not have enough faith to obey and follow Jesus. The rich young ruler walked away. He never did understand. One must believe. It is my responsibility to share the gospel. It is my responsibility to help those who need help.
I'm still working out how I can help. I'm praying. Praying for God to open a door. He will.
It is my responsibility to take action.
Comments
Post a Comment