Making Time to Pray
Life speeds by fast. The world is full of things to keep us busy - too busy to stop and pray. I've heard people say that they are in a constant mind of prayer. I understand, because there are days I devote to prayer, and in my mind and soul I'm constantly praying and seeking God's direction. Those are good days. Even, in the rush of my job, I made moments to talk to God. Prayer draws me closer to God. Prayer clears my mind and helps me to make good decisions. Then, there are days where I wonder what did I do with my time. Where did the time go? Why didn't I make more time to meditate in the scriptures and pray?
What am I doing? I'm now retired. I don't want to get lazy and stay in bed, so my alarm is set for six thirty. I start the day with three glasses of water and meditation with the scriptures and prayer. I started this 'habit' in my mid twenties. With three small children, the quiet of the day was early morning, so I continue this good habit. Now, I don't have to rush unless there are special plans for the day. No, little ones to disrupt me, but yet there are disruptions to take me away from God - away from my quiet time of meditation.
Life is full of surprises and disruptions that take us away from God. These disruptions are things we can control if we choose. Like anything in life, we make choices. Choices is what we set our minds to do. Weakness is letting the things of this world rule over the day. One of my weaknesses is checking twitter or checking the news on line. There isn't anything wrong with checking twitter or keeping up with the latest news, but it should not take up an hour of my time in the morning before I talk to God. It is easy to let social media take over. We pick up our little gadget to check out what is happening, then lose ourselves in scrolling through the meaningless words of many. I've done this. I have a loved one battling cancer, so I feel I must check to see if there is any news. Then, I find myself scrolling to see what is happening and reading meaningless words. An hour later, I find myself disappointed that I let an hour fly by with no good purpose. There are other things, binge watching a series on television, getting caught up in a video game, or needlessly wasting time being self consumed. So, I strive to make choices. I set goals. Do I stay on track? Not always.
My days are adjustable, and I don't have to keep same schedule. However, I strive to keep my morning appointment with God. I need it. My quiet time in the mornings to meditate over the scriptures and pray from my heart and soul makes each day less stressful and gives me direction. My goal is to seek God's plan for each day. I can't seek God's will without drawing closer to him through His Word and prayer. Prayer isn't just words. Prayer is seeking God. Prayer is not a wish list. Prayer is sharing our concerns for our loved ones and the world. Yes, I ask for healing. I ask for wisdom to be in all our leaders. My morning prayer includes request for guidance through the day.
By seeking God in the morning, I find my days more balanced. Yes. There are those daily battles, so I pray. When I feel a need, I pray. Even, when I'm busy, I know God hears my prayer as I drive, walk, or rush after a grandchild. He is always there. By making time to pray, I can have confidence in my daily walk. Making time to pray draws me close to God. Just making time for our creator assures me time is not wasted away and God is in control.
Comments
Post a Comment