I Can't Breathe - Time to Stand Up

I Can't Breathe    

by Rose Ellen written June 1, 2020 


Floyd’s last words, “I can’t breathe.”

With a knee on his neck

And pressure on his back,

His life blown to the ground

With no help - no mercy!

 

Folks watching, film rolling

With the sound, “I can’t breathe.”

Not a one tried to stop

Or break Floyd from the hold

Of despair – no mercy!

 

With these words, “I can’t breathe.”

Shame overwhelms my soul.

Seeing a life, loving life

Snuffed silently away.

No Mercy!  No Mercy!

 

Forgive me! My heart breaks.

Too many unspoken words.

Too many silent years;

For years I could not breathe,

Fear to shame – have mercy.

 

For many years, I didn’t breathe

In silence I did not speak.

Prejudice around me,

While my soul disagreed.

Me! Silence – Oh! Mercy!

 

From this time on let’s break

Brutal chains binding all.

Together let’s protest

Holding hands united.

Take off hate - for mercy.

 

Majority! Shout with me!

All are free! Free to be

Safe. So give all respect,

Just treatment, and justice.

N’er forget – I can’t breathe.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY