Committed: Complainer vs Quietly Taking Care of Business
October 5, 2016
When we commit all to God, what does He require of us?
Things don’t always go how we expect and we don’t always get
things our way. We make commitments, but
when things get too hard, what do we do?
The children of Israel complained all the way from Egypt to the Promised
Land. God fed them, gave them water, and
protected them on their journey, but so many of the followers wanted more.
It is so human to want more and not be satisfied with what
we have. Just like God was there for the
Children of Israel, he is there for us.
He wants to mold us into the best we can be.
I just finished reading “In Every Place” by Kim L. Abernethy. She was honest with her personal battles as
she served God in Africa with her husband and children. When her living conditions were at the worst
possible, she found God working and souls won for the Kingdom. As I read about the living conditions, I
thought of the missionaries supported by my church. I realize that they don’t tell us
everything. Currently, Paula, a
missionary in Africa, sends weekly emails of her week. I can see her enduring the heat, shopping for
supplies, dealing with the post office, learning another language, and building
relationships with neighbors. Surely,
she does not tell us everything. How
many hours does she have electricity, does the bathroom function, or does she
have much privacy? Missionaries have
their personal battles and temptations just like everyone else. Through those personal battles of discomfort,
God is still using them for his purpose.
Here we sit in a modern country with all the benefits of
technology and modern homes. We complain
like the children of Israel over and over and over with whining and
complaining.
October 15, 2016
When I wrote the above words on 5 October, I did not know
that we would be without electricity for close to a week. Hurricane Matthew came on the anniversary of
South Carolina’s first anniversary of “The One Thousand Year Flood.” On October 7, the rains started moving across
the eastern coast. We prepared and
prayed. Then, on Saturday morning, we
watched and waited. It rained and
stopped. Then, around 12:30 PM as I finished
preparing lunch for Mark and me, the strong winds came and we lost
electricity. I have a grill and
flashlights, and I was not worried. I
knew things were going to be fine as I lived through Hurricane Hugo and
Hurricane Katrina (I lived in Mississippi from 2002 to 2006.).
Saturday night and Sunday was like a camp out with a few of
the grandchildren. Reality did come on
Monday as I looked at the trees down in my yard. I felt like I needed the large oak in my back
driveway moved, so I called to borrow a chainsaw. I’m very independent, and the next action
would have been to buy a chainsaw. My
brother came over and he felt safer cutting the tree. I moved limbs and picked up some good
firewood as he cut for four hours.
Didn’t I say it was a big oak tree lying across my back driveway? The other trees can wait. My yard looks like a war zone, but we are safe and
no damage. So many others are without
more than I. I returned to work on
Tuesday, and we worked with generator power.
It was slow, but with the ports closed the slow pace didn’t hurt. Since we were still without lights on Tuesday
morning, my son started looking for a generator. It is hard with four children under seven. He found a generator on Craig’s List and
drove to Myrtle Beach to pick it up.
When I arrived home Tuesday night, the generator was set up at my
house. Disasters are times when families
and neighbors come together to help each other.
Thursday morning, my son’s home had power, so they moved back home. With lights coming back on, everyone was
celebrating to have lights and technology back.
Since I had a scheduled meeting with the executive committee
of the ECWMS Thursday night through Saturday at North Myrtle Beach, I looked
forward to a few days with warm water, electricity, and great company. I’m never disappointed when I’m with the
faithful workers of the ECWMS. Meals
were great, we accomplished a lot in our meetings and workshop, and I left on
Saturday lifted up.
On the drive to Myrtle Beach, I saw many houses flooded,
many houses with trees through the roofs, and water rising in yards and
driveways. Many lost much while I was
only inconvenienced a little for a few days.
Do we complain?
I try to keep a positive view in all situations. I said “try” because I am not perfect and I
pray a lot for God’s help. However,
there is the lady at work that had same inconvenience as the rest of us, but
she constantly complained. The manager
told her to go home. Believe me, we
enjoyed the quiet. One co-worker lost
much, new home has tree through roof, old home he planned to move out of has
flooded basement, and his mother’s home has two trees in house. Yes, when a forty year old pecan tree falls
on a house, it crashes through the roof into the house. He did no complaining. While taking care of his home, mother, and
family, he kept up with work. People
are so different. The complainer and the
wonderful young trooper who keeps going shows the difference of a person who
knows life isn’t just about his problems and one who can’t see life beyond her
short nose. I wonder if Moses ever
thought to send the complaining Israelites back to Egypt. No, he stayed positive and faithfully prayed
to God for forgiveness of their sins and for their needs to be met.
Wouldn’t it be nice if we were all like Moses and the young
man who lost so much but kept on going with no complaints?
Comments
Post a Comment