What Does God Require of You? Walk in All His Ways and Love Him
“And now, Israel, what
does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk
in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the Lord and His
statutes which I command you today for your good?” Deuteronomy 10:12, 13
My father, the farmer,
loved me unconditionally. He held me
gently as a new born baby and nourished me physically and spiritually. He instructed me in many ways by teaching me good
work ethics, honesty, sharing, looking out for those less fortunate, obedience
to him, obedience to the laws of our country, and to love God. As a child, I wanted to be just like my
father, because I respected him and loved him.
My father had long
legs. When he walked across a field, he
took long strides. I followed him many
times and looked at his footsteps across the fields. I tried to match his stride and jumped to
step in each footprint. If only I had
his long legs, I could walk as he did.
As I ran to keep up with my father, I had many questions, and he had
many answers. He listened to me. He laughed at me, lovingly. He laughed because some questions made him
chuckle, but he thought them all through and gave me answers. Honestly, as I look back, he most likely
prayed over some of my questions. My
father also had a firm hand in discipline.
For me, his words of disappointment in me hurt more when I was
disobedient. I loved him and wanted to
please him. I wanted my legs to be long
as his, so I could walk beside him and please him in all I did. I wanted to walk with him and please him
because I loved him.
Our Heavenly Father
wants us to “walk in all His ways and to love Him.” All through Deuteronomy, Moses instructs the
children of Israel to love God. I know,
because I read the book with the purpose of writing each verse with
instructions to love God. So, when I say
many, I know because I’ve taken the time to write each in my notebook. Deuteronomy 6:5 is quoted by Jesus in Matthew
22:37, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your
soul, and with your mind.” Jesus
called this the “first commandment.” (22:38) God
loves us, and He wants us to love Him. If
we let him into our hearts and lives, our heavenly Father will not only love us
but nourish our spirit with his Words and tender care. As I desired to walk in the footsteps of my
earthly father, we should desire to walk in the footsteps of Jesus and live a
life of service to others and God. As we
grow closer to God, our love for Him will increase each day as we feed on the
scriptures and seek to do His will.
“If from thence you
shall seek the Lord your God, you will find Him, if you seek Him with all your
heart and all your soul.” Deuteronomy 4:29
Comments
Post a Comment