Prayer: Is It Just a List?
Over the last few months at Wednesday night Bible Study, it
has occurred to me that our prayer requests sound like we are making a shopping list. We name all those with cancer, heart
conditions, and illnesses that come with age.
The list is made, but how many of us will pray over those people? How many will send cards or visit to let the
people on the list know we are praying for them? Or, is it just a list we write on Wednesday
night to be put aside until next week’s update?
Do you see where I’m going? Are we going through the motions or sincerely
praying?
When facing a question, I start by examining myself. Something I learned years ago. It’s a long story where I followed advice
found in I Corinthians 11:28, “A man must examine himself.” I examined myself and saw where I was with
the Lord and where I needed to be with the Lord. It worked in dealing with the problem, so I
examine myself, pray, and meditate on God’s Word. So, was I guilty? Yes, God was leading me to see where I needed
to be in my prayer life. There are seasons where life gets busy and
everything becomes a routine. We have a
list that we run through without thought and check it off as we spin our
words. As I hear the multitude of prayer
request, I wonder if these prayers are words of habit or sincere prayers of
faith. For some of us it is a prayer
list for Wednesday night and for others it is serious prayer needs to take
before God.
After the list is made, we pray. Prayers starting with “Gracious” or “Dear
Heavenly Father” and ending with “In Jesus Name” or “Your Will Be Done” with
all the requests in between. And, I
wonder as I hear the prayers. What do we
sound like to God? We are making words
for healing and want what we want. Yes,
many of us have already seen what prayer has done. We have seen those healed, and we have seen
prayers not answered how we want. However, at this time as I listen, I wonder. Are we making a list or are we faithfully
laying the needs of those named before our loving God?
Comments
Post a Comment