It's About Commitment
Sunday I was amused that the Sunday School lesson at the
church I’m visiting was the same content of something I’ve written
recently. It is still just for my eyes
only. I was searching the scripture
about anger, wrath, and hate, and my notes were many, many pages. In my search, I came across I Samuel 18 – 20. The unlikely friendship of a prince assumed
to be the next king and the man anointed by God to be the next king caught my
attention with the words of I Samuel 18:1.
Every conclusion that I noted was the lesson. Then tonight, I slipped into the Bible Study,
“This Is Our Time.” Interesting
discussion and I want to read the book.
The discussion started around men or women we know that served God
totally. My thoughts were on my father,
but he is not famous like all the names chosen. The discussion
never mentioned full commitment to God; this bothered me. All the men and women, mostly, were committed
totally to service as God led.
It takes full commitment to step away from society
expectations into total obedience to God.
We can be good Christians, but are we committed to God and service to
others? Churches have a lot of good
Christians searching for a better life which is where commitment to God becomes
nearly impossible. When we are searching
for something for self instead of God, we fall short. This morning Caitlyn would not move if she
did not have her feet braced on the side of the pool. With her feet on my legs, she let me take her
away from the seat on the side to the center.
She had a sense of security as long as she could stand. It was when she realized she could trust JJ
and me that she let go and paddled from me to JJ. The good Christians are like Caitlyn on the
side of the pool with the need of the security of a good job, money for nice
cars and houses, and fitting in with society.
These good Christians have placed their trust in themselves and not God. Before we can commit to God’s service, we
must let go and totally trust Him.
“I beseech you brethren, by the mercies of God, that you
present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your
reasonable service. And, be not
conformed to this world; but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so
that you will be able to prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect,
will of God.” Romans 12:1, 2
Comments
Post a Comment