Jesus Warns: You Shall Be Hated
This is last week of lent. Most of us have spent most of lent in
quarantine. This time has given me a lot
of time to think, pray, study, read, and meditate. I’ve set a schedule because I don’t want to
spend all day in bed. I get us early to
pray and meditate on scripture. I exercise.
I try to arrange time in the mornings to
watch CBS Morning News. I like Gayle King. News watching is limited to one hour. You know, too much of anything makes a dull
mind. Each week I’ve scheduled three to
four hours on three days to work in yard.
After three weeks, there isn’t much left to do but a little maintenance. Yesterday, I cleaned my pantry. There were way too many empty jars and
plastic containers. After clearing out the
clutter, I have plenty of space in the pantry.
Yes, I recycle. The jars and plastics
are in separate containers. I live in rural
America, so I will take these to recycling area on Wednesday. In the evenings with the yard manicured and
house clean, I like to watch a good movie or read a book. Some evenings, I may search for news stories
on NBC, CBS, CNN, and FOX, but again, I limit the time. What bothers me is that NBC and CNN ridicule
Christians and say negative things about our president and Christians. This is a special week for Christians all
over the world. As I pray and worship, I
wonder just how this week will conclude with the pandemic and media’s negative
views on our country’s leaders and Christianity.
Christians are warned that they shall “deliver
you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you, and you shall be hated of all
nations for my names sake.” This is in
Matthew 24 where the disciples ask Jesus, “what shall be the sign of thy
coming, and of the end of the world? (3)
Then, in verse 9 Jesus tells them that they will be hated. This has happened to Christians and Jews around
the world for centuries. In many
countries, religion of any kind is banned.
In Muslim countries, Christians are persecuted and killed. Our country has always been different. In all my years, I’ve been respected for my
faith. I’ve been shown respect for my
love of God. In my younger days, people did
not curse or use foul and defaming words around a Christian. Today, it is different. Christians are called haters. Those who consider Christians people of hate
don’t understand what Christianity is.
Unfortunately, some people who call themselves Christians don’t understand
Christianity. Open the Bible and read
it. Read the gospels. When I wanted to understand Islam, I didn’t
trust what I heard. I studied the
Koran. By the way, those who praise Islam
don’t know Islam. Some people who are Muslims
never read the Koran and don’t know what is in their holy book. Unfortunately, many who call themselves
Christians have never read the Bible and misrepresent Christianity. God is a Spirit and God is love. God is not a vengeful God. God is patient. The gospels tell us to love and not
judge. Christians are to help the needy
and give to those in need. Do Christians
fall short? Yes. We are human.
We don’t hate the sinner, but we pray for the sinner. We don’t judge the sinner, because we fall
short and sin too. Do we hate homosexuals? No, we don’t.
To the Christian, homosexuality is just as bad as sex out of marriage,
stealing, lying, murder, and falling short of doing God’s will. If I feel God calls me to help my neighbor
and I don’t, it is a sin, because I failed to serve and love my neighbor. I repent of this sin and help my neighbor. If I disapprove of the president’s behavior,
I don’t hate him like some. I pray for
him. As I scroll through social media, I
pray for those posting hateful and negative words. I don’t hate them for their view. They are all part of God’s creation. Christians are commanded to love everyone. (Matthew
22:37-40) So, if you made it this far in this paragraph, Christianity is about
love, and we love and pray for those who afflict us, seek to kill us, and hate
us.
With the negative reporting and views about
Christians, I’m concerned for my children and grandchildren. I wonder if they will be able to withstand
the abuse, lies, affliction, and persecution to come. Without abiding in Christ and the Holy
Spirit, many will turn from their faith.
Without standing in the gospel of God, many will give up and fall
away. Christians will stand strong because
we know that we have a difficult walk.
The Bible does not promise us riches and glory on earth. We have a greater promise: “Blessed are you,
when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against
you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and
be exceeding glad; for great is your reward in heaven; for so persecuted they
the prophets which were before you.” (Matthew 5:11,12 KJV) Now, as we face
another week of the pandemic and negative media, I pray for those suffering,
losing lives, and our leaders. I love
them. Most of all, I pray for all
Christians this week. May we be committed
to showing God’s love in these difficult times.
Comments
Post a Comment