Mob Effect
I
have never figured why people chase and follow after a mob. I don’t understand why believe lies and chant
with the mob. I’m reading a series of
books about Germany during WWII. I
notice the mobs were mostly the youth. Hitler
took power around 1933 with his charismatic personality. He appealed to the masses without jobs. He appealed to the youth. When things are bad in ones life, they tend
to blame someone other than themselves.
In Germany, they blamed the Jews.
With Hitler promoting the perfect race, they killed those with
deformities and sterilized those who they considered not perfect. Hitler did this for power. The masses followed because he fueled their desires
and hate. Then, in today’s world, we see groups following blindly believing lies.
If you notice, it is mostly the youth.
Many have been concerned with the large groups who attend the Trump
rallies. I don’t understand. Those masses are people wanting entertainment
and only a few are evil with views of hate towards certain people groups. The crowds fuel their emotions. Then, there is Antifa. When we see this group, there is so much
hate. They aren’t open to other views,
just their own narrow views. In the end,
any of these groups are easily turned into a chanting, destructive mob. Where is the logic? Where is the humanity?
Now, as I read the events of this holy week, I see the same mob effect. Jesus enters Jerusalem and crowds rush to welcome him. They greet Jesus like he is a king. Were these the ones who followed Jesus to be physically feed? Jesus did feed thousands with two fish and five loafs. Did they follow thinking Jesus would supply all their physical needs? Were they thinking that life will be better with this man, Jesus? Then, a few days later, they cried out, “Crucify him, crucify him.” (Luke 23:21) Were these two different groups of people? Jerusalem was crowded with people coming to the temple to celebrate Passover. The Romans were on guard and trying to be sensitive to the religious Jews and Jewish laws. Why celebrate the man entering? Then, a few days later shout, “Crucify him!” People were not being sensible and let the mob fuel their prejudices, feelings of misfortune, and hate. Hate is a destruction force, and it is evident when we see the destruction brought on by a mob.
The mob shouted to crucify, but there were a few good men. They stayed silent. Was it fear? As I read about Hitler’s Germany, there were a few good men planning the end of the Nazi regime. They stayed quiet from fear. There are good men today, mostly stay quiet from fear. The disciples scattered and stayed away or blended in with the crowds. Fear washed away their hope. The mob has no hope. The mob effect leads to destruction with no hope. Let’s pray with hope. Let’s turn our prayers into sensible dialog to give hope. Let’s prove the lies and show God’s love. With hearts changed, just maybe, we can end the lies that create the ruthless mobs.
Now, as I read the events of this holy week, I see the same mob effect. Jesus enters Jerusalem and crowds rush to welcome him. They greet Jesus like he is a king. Were these the ones who followed Jesus to be physically feed? Jesus did feed thousands with two fish and five loafs. Did they follow thinking Jesus would supply all their physical needs? Were they thinking that life will be better with this man, Jesus? Then, a few days later, they cried out, “Crucify him, crucify him.” (Luke 23:21) Were these two different groups of people? Jerusalem was crowded with people coming to the temple to celebrate Passover. The Romans were on guard and trying to be sensitive to the religious Jews and Jewish laws. Why celebrate the man entering? Then, a few days later shout, “Crucify him!” People were not being sensible and let the mob fuel their prejudices, feelings of misfortune, and hate. Hate is a destruction force, and it is evident when we see the destruction brought on by a mob.
The mob shouted to crucify, but there were a few good men. They stayed silent. Was it fear? As I read about Hitler’s Germany, there were a few good men planning the end of the Nazi regime. They stayed quiet from fear. There are good men today, mostly stay quiet from fear. The disciples scattered and stayed away or blended in with the crowds. Fear washed away their hope. The mob has no hope. The mob effect leads to destruction with no hope. Let’s pray with hope. Let’s turn our prayers into sensible dialog to give hope. Let’s prove the lies and show God’s love. With hearts changed, just maybe, we can end the lies that create the ruthless mobs.
Psalms 130:
Out of the depths
have I cried unto thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my
voice:
Let thine ears be
attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If thou, Lord
should mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is
forgiveness with thee, that thou may be feared.
I wait for the
Lord,
My soul does wait,
and in his word do I hope.
My soul waits for
the Lord more than they that watch for the morning:
I say, more that
they that watch for the morning,
Let Israel hope in
the Lord:
For with the Lord there
is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall
redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Comments
Post a Comment