Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Men.
Luke 2:14, “Glory to
God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.” (KJV)
At Christmas we sing songs of peace on
earth and good will toward men, but there seems to be little peace or good will
toward men spread around the world if you listen to the worldly news. There are many stories of hate and crime, and
the world is being painted as we are all doomed. But, I know better. I know better, because I know that there are
men and women who express good will toward others. There are men and women who are concerned
about their neighbors, town, state, country, and the world. They are more concerned about covering the
needs of the others and not themselves.We are blessed to have those who care and show good will to others. There are the men and women who work with Samaritan’s Purse to help those in need around the world. Others are those who work with organizations like United Way, the Red Cross, the Peace Corp, and the many mission teams that reach out to those in need around the world. Then, there are the individuals that go unnoticed as they give to their neighbors and community. Men and women humbly serving others with hearts of love is the substance of good will.
Yesterday, at the funeral of my cousin, Sam Hill, I listened to the stories of a man who gave goodwill to others. As I listened, I thought of the humble man who cared about his family, friends, and everyone he met. How many of you know of a church member who would travel to a faraway city in advance of a family with a terminally ill child? He did. He was waiting for them at the airport in a clown costume. He not only broke the ice of fear and the unknown, but he stayed to be there with them in their time of need. This was only one of the stories. Now, this is what good will is, being there to help and support others in time of need while putting your own concerns behind you. Giving with a big heart of love is a legacy that is worth more than any monetary inheritance.
Isn’t this what Jesus did for the world? He gave himself as the perfect sacrifice for our sins? This is Good Will! Jesus, the God of grace, our creator and our salvation, left His heavenly home to give all to all who will only trust and believe. While on earth, Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead to life, fed the hungry, and died for the sins of the world. Now, Jesus is in heaven to prepare a place for those who repent of their sins, open their hearts to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and have complete faith in God. The great news is that it is never too late, because Jesus is waiting for you to put all your faith and trust in Him. This is goodwill.
“Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Men” is a new challenge for me. I want to be more like my dear cousin, Sam. I don’t want to just sing the song, but I want to live a life of peace and goodwill. I want to be more like Jesus each step of the way.
Comments
Post a Comment