Today’s Church: My Final Thought


     We can come up with multiple reasons for the failure of the churches in America and around the world, but the answer is simple.  We can talk about and analyze issues, but it comes down to churches leaving God out.  We can go to church for the wrong reasons and for the right reasons, but without having God in us, without loving God, without praising God, and without worshiping God, our right reasons are all in vain.  The church needs God in its’ heart.

     I’ve seen how God changes people.  At times, I’ve been envious.  The drug addict who hears the Word of God, asks forgiveness, and let’s Jesus come into his heart becomes a changed man.  He is full of the spirit and can’t get enough of God’s Word.  He memorizes and shares the gospel.  He leads his friends and coworkers to the Lord.  As he grows in the Lord, he gives everything in his life to God.  He gave up all his earthly riches and belongings to reach an unreached group in South America.  Everyone who met him saw Jesus shining through his actions and his happiness in serving God. 

     Did I say I’m envious!  I grew up in church.  My father was a man who walked and lived for the service of God.  Among his children and grandchildren are six ordained pastors and eight Bible teachers.  We can become so ingrained in church that it becomes about the Bible, not God.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe we need to study and know God’s Word, but we need to have God at the center of our Bible study and worship.  We need God in us.  We need God in our worship.  We need God in our Bible Study.  We need God in every moment of our lives.  We need to grow spiritually in God.  We need to love God.  When people see us, they should see Jesus shining through in our actions and happiness in having God in us.

     AW Tozer in “The Attributes of God, A Journey into the Father’s Heart” writes in chapter 2 concerning the church, “We stop with revelation.”  In other words, the church believes in the Bible, but stops there.   In fact, many churches argue over translations.  I’m not going there as long as the translation leads to God.   Tozer explains it well.  When man has God in his heart and his heart is open to the Word, he grows closer to God and understands the will of God.  We need the “revelation,” but we need to understand that the revelation leads us to God.



     My final thought: the church needs more faith in God.  “Don’t you know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?”  I Corinthians 3:16

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY