Proverbs: Out of the Mouth

      What comes out of the mouth matters.  Words can hurt or give joy.  Words can destroy or give new life.  Words matter.  This may be reason we see so much in Proverbs covering the sins of the words coming out of our mouths.  Nearly every chapter in Proverbs has parables about what words can do.

 Proverbs 12:17-23

He who speaks truth shows righteousness: but a false witness deceit.

There is those speaking like the piercings of a sword; but the tongue of the wise is health.

The lip of truth shall be established forever; but a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Deceit is in the heart of them that imagine evil: but to the counsellors of peace is joy.

There shall no evil happen to the just: but the wicked shall be filled with mischief.

Lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are his delight.

A prudent man conceals knowledge: but the heart of fools proclaims foolishness.


     What we say matters.  A false witness and a lying tongue is the beginning of destroying a person.  It hurts the reputation and spirit of the victim.  Proverbs 11:9 says, "An hypocrite with his mouth destroys his neighbor."  The hypocrite usually accuses his rival or opponent of what he is doing himself.  The same with a jealous neighbor or co-worker.  They think they will not be found out and their words give them power over their victim.  The hypocrite doesn't always destroy the victim, because the victim who places their faith in God and choses to follow after God's way will be delivered.  The rest of 11:9, "through knowledge shall the just be delivered."  It may not happen immediately, but the truth eventually comes and judgment.


     What we say creates our reputation.  Now, let that sink into your mind.  Recently, a few people were at my house.  One lady had a lot of old gossip to share.  I was shocked.  She sounded like she was a CSI agent with all the clues and answers to something that happened a few years ago.  Did I say, I was shocked!  I had not been around this lady much.  Her Face Book page makes her look like the perfect neighbor and church lady.  What was that word above?  Hypocrite?  I will never repeat her words.  I asked the others later if they believed her.  Thankfully, they knew better.  I prayed for this lady.  I pray for the neighbor, because I can't imagine living around such lies about them being constantly stirred up which destroys their reputation, too.


     Can you listen and not repeat?  There are times we need someone to listen to our problems.  During one such time, I needed a friend to listen, but I didn't trust anyone.  I didn't want this story about a loved one on the streets, but I was hurt and needed a friend.  I tried talking to someone, but they acted like they didn't know what to say.  Then, I worried if they were going to tell everyone.  We should never be in this type situation.  Be a good friend and listen, pray, and never repeat.  We all need faithful friends. 


 "A talebearer reveals secrets; but he that is of a faithful spirit conceals the matter."  Proverbs 11:13 KJV


     Let's examine ourselves.  We are all guilty of not thinking before speaking.  It's time to learn to think before we speak and consider if we are hurting someone.  My Granny used to say, "If it isn't something good about a person, don't say it."  I seek to follow her advise.  Don't lie.  Don't share information considered private.  Don't repeat a bad story.  Don't say anything deceitful.  Just be quiet sometimes. because what comes out of our mouth can hurt someone.


"He that keeps his mouth keeps his life: but he that opens wide his lips shall have destruction." Proverbs 13:3 KJV 



       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY