Proverbs: Winning Souls


The fruit of the righteous

Is a tree of life;

He who wins souls

Is Wise.

                                               Proverbs 11:30 

     Again, as yesterday, the Proverbs continue to remind us to win souls.  Today, let's look at our hearts and the reason we choose to win souls.  I hope you want to win souls because your heart holds the love and compassion Jesus had for the multitudes in Matthew 9:36.  I hope your heart is full of God's love and understanding, so you will want to help others and reach the lost.  Note in John 3:16, John writes that God loves you so much that he sent his only son as the sacrifice for your sins.  Jesus came to demonstrate the life God wants from us and because he loves you too.  He lived and died so whosoever will believe in God will have eternal life.  Then, when Jesus rose into the heavens, he promised to return and promised eternal life to all who believe.  Now, as believers, we are to share this message.

   On a beautiful Friday afternoon, I was driving into Myrtle Beach with Alice.  The traffic was heavy.  As we slowly moved in the traffic towards the beach, Alice said, "How it breaks my heart to think how many of all those people don't know Jesus."  Her statement moved me.  I had never thought about it.  These were just people going to the beach.  Alice's musing made me consider my own heart as a believer.  Did I care?  How can I tell someone about Jesus?  Will it feel strange?  I don't want to be rejected, so maybe I'll just live as an example.

   A few years later, I was asked to go as a sponsor to a Teen Retreat in Baltimore.  On the first day, I was not paired with my group, but with a few girls from Pennsylvania.  We were given tracks and given a few questions to ask people on the street.  I'm a quiet and reserved person.  How was I going to lead these three girls towards strangers to ask, "Do you believe in God?"  As we arrived to our location, the first thing we saw was a Barnes and Nobel.  This was my kind of place because I love to read.  As soon as one of the girls saw Barnes and Nobel, she said, 'we can go in and look at books and place our tracks in the books.'  Now, that was an idea!  However, as hard as it was for me to disagree, I led them to the first couple that looked friendly and introduced myself along with the girls.  They were pleasant and we talked about books.  Why not!  We were in front of a bookstore with a bunch of shy people who loved a good book.  I knew the questions had to come.  I was sweating, and I knew the girls were not going to say anything.  After some awkward seconds, I asked the question.  Silence.  I explained who we were and our purpose.  It ended good.  We did visit Barnes and Nobel.  No, we did not stick the gospel tracks into books because we did as we were instructed - talk to people about God and salvation.  Along with the girls, I learned that some people want to talk about their salvation or ask questions about God.  It was amazing that we had no rejections nor rude people as some other groups did.

   Now, many, many years later, I understand that I can't be a witness unless my heart is right.  I don't have to be like Tommy Head with his enthusiasm and urgency to get someone saved.  I loved how Tommy witnessed and wanted everyone to love Jesus as much as he did.  It was his life's experiences and his personality.  I can't copy another person's style.  I have to be myself.  I have to have the call from God.  I have to have compassion.  I most definitely must love as God loves.  I will love everyone God places in my path.  Didn't Jesus tell the young ruler, "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)  Your neighbor is everyone you know.  Because I love them, I will never give up on them turning to God and believing.

    Can you consider sharing the gospel and salvation?  Are you willing to build relationships where you will have to wait patiently on God's timing and the friend to come to Christ?  Are you willing to give all to God and submit to service?  I still have fears, so I pray Colossians 4:3-6 everyday.  Place your fears behind you and believe.  As a wise person, make fruit by sharing the gospel and winning souls.

"Praying that God will open unto us a door to share the mystery of Christ.  That I will know what I ought to say.  Walk in wisdom toward those who do not have understanding, redeeming the time.  Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you will know how to answer everyone."        (Colossians 4:3-6 in my words)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY