THE INVITATION: RSVP

 

You are invited to come Dine 

The table is prepared

If you desire understanding,

Wisdom calls.

You set the time

&

For your benefit

RSVP


     The invitations come, we mark the date, and RSVP is required.  As the time draws near, we make preparations to go and enjoy the dinner party or wedding.  I love weddings.  I just received a wedding invitation and will not forget to RSVP and keep the date clear for this special wedding.  I was reminded of the wedding as I read Proverbs 9 this morning.  

           God sends you the invitation and has everything prepared for you.  There is one stipulation; you must want understanding.  The mocker and evil one isn't invited, because they don't want wisdom and understanding.  But, God keeps the door open in case they have a change of heart and desire to become wise men.  You see, only the wise are invited because they love correction and desire understanding.  "Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning." (verse 9)

         Now, you may wonder why I added RSVP.  God didn't set a time.  The RSVP is for me and you.  We set the time to open our Bibles and pray.  I don't know about you, but I need to eat at the table prepared for me daily.  I need to draw near to God and the Holy Spirit through prayer.  Most of all, I need to open my Bible daily to be fed God's wisdom.  So, I set my time for 7 AM.  I may drop in at different times of the day to pray or to read a Bible study, but my RSVP with God is set at 7 AM everyday.  

       This invitation is only for those who choose wisdom and understanding.  The evil one sends his invitation playing on the the senses of the foolish.  Satan entices us with things that fill our senses.  The alcoholic and drug addict is drawn to the high they will get.  Or, they may be using these substances to escape problems and fears.  Then, there are the ones drawn to pornography.  I know a man who let porn lead him to rape his young daughter.  Watching the video wasn't enough, he had to experience the joy of the act with no regards to the person he was hurting.  The foolish finds "Stolen water sweet, and bread eaten in secret pleasant." (vs 17)   At the same time, while the foolish is satisfying his senses at the expense of others, 'he knows not that the dead are there and her guests are in the depths of hell.' (vs 18)   

     God's invitation is for everyone, because He loves everyone.   But, God's invitation to receive wisdom and understanding is to those who choose to open their hearts, minds, and souls to Him.  Only then will you completely have a hunger for God's wisdom and will RSVP.    

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.  Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double minded."  James 4: 8 NKJ

      

    


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY