Hope of Christmas:Truth

   
     This Christmas I've seen many views on Christmas on social media.  Is it good to tell your children that there is a Santa Claus?  Adults enjoy the Santa experience as much as children.  It is about the wonder and magic of giving your children gifts.  I've read views from both sides, and both sides make their case well.  Then, there is the "Elf on the Shelf."  Thanks to the beautiful book written by Carol Aebersold and her daughter Chanda Bell a new tradition in many homes started.  Santa's elf keeps an eye on all the children to see who is naughty or nice.  A fun way to remind children to be obedient and good.  Then, as I read the many views, I remember why Kevin and I chose the path we took with our own children, the truth.
     Our plan was to teach the truth about Christmas to our children.  Yes, we did Santa until our oldest comes home from school asking if Santa Claus was real.  She was five.  I was not going to lie to my daughter.  So, I told her about Saint Nicholas.  At five, I'm not sure how much she understood, but after this, we did not hide that we were providing the gifts, not a fat jolly man that went down the chimney.  We didn't have to have this conversation with our two younger children.  I assume our oldest educated them.  Out of respect for parents who went overboard with Santa, we didn't debate or tell them they were wrong.  Whether, using Santa Clause to add magic to Christmas or not, we all worshipped together and shared a belief in Jesus Christ.
     Jesus told his disciples in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father but by me."  Jesus is truth.  He was the hope of world before he was born in a manger in Bethlehem.  Jesus was promised to the world thousands of years before he was born.  Jesus is still the hope of the world, because he is the way to salvation.  He is truth.  he gives life to all who believe.  When we believe, the Spirit of truth 'will dwell with you, and shall be in you." John 14:17
     Yes, Jesus is Truth.  When we open our hearts, believe, and let him abide within us, truth lives in us.  Yes, The hope of Christmas is having a Savior who is truth.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Gift of the Light

What Christians Should Do

TAKE UP YOUR CROSS DAILY