Worship: In Spirit
As I entered my teen years, I had feelings of doubt about the leaders in our church. My faith was strong, because I knew God and spent time in prayer and devotion. Yet, when I heard a leader in the WMS justify her gossip as spreading prayer request, I wondered about her heart condition. Then, when I heard a leading pastor in our denomination point out a very sexy dressed young lady to some ministerial students as a perfect spouse, I questioned his heart and advise. I wondered about their faith. Were they practicing religion only? Where was God in this equation of gossip and lust?
Don't misunderstand me, my church had good men and women who taught us the way to God. I had a father who worshipped in Spirit at church and at home. However, as I look back, those feelings of disappointment remind me that just religion was not enough. In my late teens, I wrote a poem, long poem, about my view of the church. I'll share it in a few days, but today, let's look at what Jesus said about worship.
In John 4, Jesus is at the well with the Samaritan woman. She realizes that this Jesus is God's Son. She asks Jesus about worship, "Our fathers worshipped in this mountain, and you say that men must worship in Jerusalem." (20)
Jesus sums up his reply, "The hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (23 & 24)
"God is a Spirit," so we worship Him "in spirit and in truth." Worship is more than singing a few songs and sitting through a sermon. Worship is more that sitting in a pew every Sunday. Worship comes from the heart, and before we can worship, we must have God in our hearts. Dear friend, this is faith. Just as the Samaritan woman believed and rushed to tell all in the city, we must also believe. "Whosoever believes in him (God) should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:15)
"The Father seeks such to worship Him." (4:23) As God abides in us and seeks to have a relationship with us, those who believe will worship in Spirit. When we have God in our hearts, we will pray without spreading gossip or encouraging young men in the wrong direction. Our heart's desire as we worship in the Spirit is to please God not our ego or physical desires.
"Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits;
Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
Who satisfies your mouth with good things; so that your youth is renewed like the eagles."
Psalms 103:1-5
Don't misunderstand me, my church had good men and women who taught us the way to God. I had a father who worshipped in Spirit at church and at home. However, as I look back, those feelings of disappointment remind me that just religion was not enough. In my late teens, I wrote a poem, long poem, about my view of the church. I'll share it in a few days, but today, let's look at what Jesus said about worship.
In John 4, Jesus is at the well with the Samaritan woman. She realizes that this Jesus is God's Son. She asks Jesus about worship, "Our fathers worshipped in this mountain, and you say that men must worship in Jerusalem." (20)
Jesus sums up his reply, "The hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." (23 & 24)
"God is a Spirit," so we worship Him "in spirit and in truth." Worship is more than singing a few songs and sitting through a sermon. Worship is more that sitting in a pew every Sunday. Worship comes from the heart, and before we can worship, we must have God in our hearts. Dear friend, this is faith. Just as the Samaritan woman believed and rushed to tell all in the city, we must also believe. "Whosoever believes in him (God) should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:15)
"The Father seeks such to worship Him." (4:23) As God abides in us and seeks to have a relationship with us, those who believe will worship in Spirit. When we have God in our hearts, we will pray without spreading gossip or encouraging young men in the wrong direction. Our heart's desire as we worship in the Spirit is to please God not our ego or physical desires.
"Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits;
Who forgives all your iniquities; who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from destruction; who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
Who satisfies your mouth with good things; so that your youth is renewed like the eagles."
Psalms 103:1-5
Comments
Post a Comment