Jesus is the Son of God
Recently, I’ve seen posts on social media saying that Jesus
prophesied Muhammed in John 14:16: ‘And I will pray the Father, and he shall
give you another Comforter, that he may be with you forever.’ They say that the Comforter is in reference
to Muhammed, the prophet of the Quran. There
is a lot of wrong with this statement. Those
who claim this using the book of John is overlooking the entirety of the gospel
of John. The gospel of John is about
Jesus being the “I Am.” John is about
the ministry of Jesus, God’s Son. The
Pharisees go after Jesus because he claims to be the Son of God. John writes about Jesus’ promises to the
disciples, Jesus’ crucifixion on the cross and the Resurrection of Jesus. Jesus did not prophesy the coming of Muhammed
and Muhammed is not the Comforter (Helper) promised by Jesus.
First,
look at the first words of the book of John.
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word
was God. The same was in the beginning
with God. All things were made by him;
and without him was anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light
of men. And this light shines in
darkness and darkness comprehended it not.” (1:1-5) These beginning verses of
John is about a man who is more than a prophet.
These verses point to the Messiah promised by the prophets of the Old Testament. Looking back at Genesis 1:26 which reads ‘Then
God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and
let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over
the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on
the earth."’ The plural is
used. Then to complete who Jesus is,
John continued in chapter 1 verses 12 through 14, ‘But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His
name, He gave the right to become children of God—children born not of blood,
nor of the desire or will of man, but born of God. The Word
became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His
glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father,
full of grace and truth.’
Second, Jesus says to
the disciples ‘I am the way, and the truth, and
the life: no one cometh unto the Father, but by me.’ (14:6) Jesus continues in
verses 11 through 14, ‘Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in
me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto
you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater
works than these shall he do, because I go unto the Father. And
whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be
glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask anything in my name, that will I do.’ Now, think about these verses. If Jesus is the only way to God the Father,
the following verse is not a prophesy of a coming prophet.
Third, Jesus said, “I will pray the Father, and he shall give you
another Comforter, that he may be with you forever, even the
Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholds him not, neither
knows him: ye know him; for he abides with you, and shall be in you.”
(14:16,17) The conversation continued: ‘I will not leave you
desolate. I come unto you. Yet a little while, and the world beholds me no
more; but ye behold me: because I live, ye shall live also. In that day ye
shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath
my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me
shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself unto
him. Judas (not Iscariot) saith unto him, Lord, what is come to pass that thou
wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said
unto him, if a man loves me, he will keep my word: and my Father will love him,
and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loves me
not keeps not my words: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the
Father's who sent me. These things have
I spoken unto you, while yet abiding with you. But the Comforter, even the Holy
Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,
and bring to your remembrance all that I said unto you.’ Note the underlined
phrases is about God abiding in us. This
is the Holy Spirit that abides in us when we confess our sins and commit our
lives to God.
Fourth, God is
Spirit. In John 4:24, Jesus says to the
Samaritan woman at the well concerning worship, “God is Spirit, and His
worshipers must worship Him in spirit and in truth.” Back to Genesis chapter 1, ‘In the beginning
God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless
and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep. And the Spirit of
God was hovering over the surface of the waters.’ The difference between Quran and the Holy
Bible is that the Quran is written from the physical and the Holy Bible is
written from the spiritual. As Jesus
said, “God is Spirit.” Jesus promised
the disciples to send the Holy Spirit to abide in them. Jesus repeated this promise in John 16, “But I
tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go
away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And
He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and
judgment; concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; and concerning
righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; and
concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged. I have many more things to say to you, but
you cannot bear them now. But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He
will guide you into all the truth.”
In conclusion, Jesus
did not prophesy the coming of Muhammed.
The gospel of John is about the Messiah, Jesus. Jesus lives in us through the Holy Spirit which
he promised to the disciples. However,
the prince of the world works overtime to keep the world in darkness. This prince or ‘ruler of the world’ will feed
lies through men claiming to be prophets to keep people from the true God. The God who loved the world so much that he
sent his only Son to save a perishing world.
Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus had to die on the cross for the
redemption of sin. Without the shedding
of Jesus’ blood for the sins of the world, there would be no hope. Paul wrote in Romans 3:23-25, “for all have
sinned and fall short of the glory of God and are justified
freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus. God presented Him as the atoning sacrifice
through faith in His blood,
in order to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance He had
passed over the sins committed beforehand.”
Comments
Post a Comment