Why the Cross
So, Jesus
said to them, “For a little while longer the Light is among you. Walk while you
have the Light, so that darkness will not overtake you; he who walks in the
darkness does not know where he goes. “While you have the Light,
believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light.” (John 12:35,36
NAS)
Jesus tells his followers that “The hour
is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.” Jesus had been preparing his followers for his
crucifixion. Did they understand? We like to hold onto our loved ones. We let our minds fool us with denial. It is hard to lose someone you love. I’ll never forget losing my sister. I prayed for a miracle, but my prayer was not
answered. I even prayed why couldn’t it
be me! Brenda still had young children
and so much to give. It was her
time. It was hard to let her go.
The disciples were not ready to let Jesus
go. They probably assumed that Jesus, their teacher, would be with them a while. It had only been three years, and they had so
much more to learn. Plus, look at all
the lives he had changed, all the people healed, and many lessons taught. As Jesus’ days shortened, he explains why he
must die. It was God the Father’s plan
to give salvation to the world.
Jesus said to his disciples, “The hour has come for the
Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat
falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much
fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world
will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where
I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor
him. Now My soul has become troubled;
and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose, I
came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name.” (John 12: 23-28)
As soon as Jesus said these words, a voice
from heaven was heard by those with Jesus, “I have both glorified it, and will
glorify it again.”
Some said they heard thunder and others said
that they heard the voice of an angel. This
voice was heard for their sakes, so they would believe. Then, in John 12:32, Jesus told them how he
would die: “And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”
Still, the disciples did not understand. Mentally, we never want to accept losing a friend,
a teacher, or any loved one. However,
this was more than a man. This was Jesus,
God’s Son, who came so ‘that whosoever believes in him should not perish but
have eternal life.’ (John 3:16b) Jesus’ message is for us too: ‘believe in the
light, that you may be the children of light.’ (John12:36)
Comments
Post a Comment